Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fictional Characters
Quote:if I am to represent accurately the age that they would have fought and died at within the time periods of my books, which can span decades, it is the only thing that works.
Good point. You'd also avoid having to have loads to backstory to explain what they've been doing before the first installment! I would guess that Tony Riches started his character at 18 or so for the same reason - I think he intends to keep going into the Severan period.

Even so, while Republican soldiers tended to be younger, they could still serve into their fifties. A man wouldn't usually make centurion until he was at least 30, and Primus Pilus until 50... So openings for more 'mature' characters in series novels might be there. I don't know how old Sidebottom's Ballista character is supposed to be, but I would guess in his late thirties in the first novel.

Quote:In my proposed books about Kalkriese, the main protagonist is in his late twenties/early thirties.
Sounds interesting! If he was 26 in AD9, he could be a grizzled 58-yr-old Praetorian Tribune in time to stick a knife in Caligula... Confusedmile:
Nathan Ross