Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FAYUM PAINTING
Hi

I wondered whether to put this in the quiz section, as it is currently attracting the most well travelled RAT members!

However does anyone know the whereabouts of this character? Failing that, have they seen it published in a book? Is it genuine? Presumably if it is an original it came from the Fayum in Egypt but many portraits are now scattered across the world in various Museums.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

There will be a small reward for any information which leads to the tracking down of this individual!!!

Graham.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:There will be a small reward for any information which leads to the tracking down of this individual!!!
I'm sorry to report this, Graham, but I fear this person is dis manibus, and can not be located now. :roll:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hi

The reward is for his capture, dead or alive! Big Grin

Graham.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
So it might be a burial shroud portrait? If that is possible an internet search of burial shroud, mummy portraits, and similar terminology might turn up something.
One reference say around 900 are known.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Hi John

Nothing so far. If only the 900 or so original portraits would show up when you did that too, rather than the endless copies, or modern portraits in the style of, or even pictures of the wicked witch of the west! :???:

A trip to a deadwood university library is obviously on the cards to seek out the four Parlasca volumes which should show them all, although the last time I did that this one did not appear to be there. :???:

Graham.

I Tried reverse image search with Tineye and Google without luck... :|
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Thanks for trying Iagoba!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Polybius\' description and the Fayum scutum Mark Hygate 19 6,399 01-07-2014, 08:48 PM
Last Post: Mark Hygate
  Great Mummy Portrait site (Fayum) caiusbeerquitius 18 5,095 01-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Senovara