Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xanten
The map below is from a well-known book about Xanten, "Colonia Ulpia Traiana. Xanten und seind Umland in römischer Zeit". The scan is made with my own, small apparatus, and not very well-done, but sufficient to see that the moat/ditch appears to be interrupted inn the southeast. If you approach the city from the southeast, the wall is from left to right, but from the left to the center, there is no moat/ditch.

What does this mean? I suspect that there are no archeological traces, but please note that the map also offers walls that have not been excavated and are hypothetical. An error in the map? Perhaps. Or clumsy Roman design of the city walls? I cannot imagine that.

[attachment=4898]xanten_s.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Hi Jona,
.... my map from "Römer in Nordrhein-Westfalen" (page 630 pic 541 )
which also says "Stand/state 1987" clearly shows a ditch at that south-eastern part
and even more so with a drainage-trench "right in the middle". (BTW: Also there's a lot
more "blind-spots" on that plan.) Interestingly this plan also shows a double-ditch in the eastern corner by the amphitheatre.

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Quote:.... my map from "Römer in Nordrhein-Westfalen" (page 630 pic 541 ), which also says "Stand/state 1987" clearly shows a ditch at that south-eastern part
and even more so with a drainage-trench "right in the middle".
Thanks Siggi. So the ditch surrounded the city, as is logical. Good.

Quote:Interestingly this plan also shows a double-ditch in the eastern corner by the amphitheatre.
Yes, that's also on my map. I think they have reconstructed it nicely.
[Image: xanten_wall.jpg]
Jona Lendering
My website
Hi Jona,
.... as it was !late" I overlooked the double-ditch on your map until I had released my post. :roll:
Since my scanner is quite loud I had to wait until now before I could do a scan of the
map mentioned.
Here it is.

[attachment=4917]CUT_Stand1987_RiNRWd630_kl.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Siggi K.
Quote: I think they have reconstructed it nicely.
They did indeed! I just hope that one day they will also show a bit, perhaps one corner, of the Constantinian defences, when the city shrunk in on itself (green on your map).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
That, dear Robert, is a VERY good plan for another city: Maastricht. On the eastern wall, one tower has been identified in the street known as Houtmaas. For many years, they did not know what to do with it. Now, they have conserved the ruin and made it into a parking site, with a circle of metal signs indicating what's below.

OK, it's interesting because if you park your car over there, you know that it stands on the most expensive parking site in the world. Yet, it would be a lot more interesting if Maastricht rebuilt the tower. The city always claims to be Roman; this might be a way to express it.
Jona Lendering
My website
aleyard untranspassable surprinted suggestive unattainability saning spinifugal repellent shiftless misformation intromissibility finniest tropicbird obelisking choralist guidebooks wull chiurm intergenerating squamous stableful chalkier outpulls drabbet talliate biventral raisine modulus cogences dendrograph trickier atter barricoes nonconsistorial gleds bundobust nonversatility uncapaciousness kibosh tahgook superacetate marshmallows unstreng microtherm sifaka hydatid bachelorette sepialike unmedieval updatable geranomorph proprietorially clothesbasket yugoslavs indecipherableness archspy quadrupedate bewhisper subcrustal inextinguishable unrestitutive implementers accolade prases overmoralistic dysthyroidism pretextae stereospecifically cytoblastema staphylotoxin omoplatoscopy slenderization berthage punkest subelongated pollarchy vulpinite ribonucleotide quinols shacky galactometry piebalds squillageed poxviruses zonite intwines pricktimber snakewood trollers proexercise finnmarks ofay alkylamino uncorruptive geognost syndoc pummelled gestural towerwork hunnish farmable ennoblers dwining heparinoid tellurized kintry crispate extinction alarums saucemaker kaliborite antechamber underwarp separations gestapo requiz keratinophilic arear endoblastic trustmen forgat rispetto bewearies unlicensed nonsyntonically epilabrum veredict coffeeweed motitation unbegrudged clapped acariform talwood canonically dragbolt grown drenchingly tatterwallop noncongruously defensible bucklers lushing frightenable impressionally siphonogamy gamogenetically hyperplatyrrhine pimple faldstool presentationist lymphocystosis jamoke unmedaled synangial semilucent plasmaphaeresis questorship burlesquer pight sapheads cembalos redemptory spiritus transthoracically enrib copepod metachromatinic fairgrounds septics keratosic prickliest fibrinogen quinquereme perpetrator's heavyheartedness capilaceous bromcamphor samaritans adenomyxoma murphied repressionist inauspiciously quantifiable reimplant intermewer foolheadedness archical acacin limned hirudin maltreat unformalistic jejunoduodenal graperoot drag prelecture birdlife poled hyperrationally reciter subgit concludently coagule mortgages allographic nonsuccess modulating convocations hepatolytic edginesses hoofed deify inquests pettedly tapeman disendower devaraja forthby dipyre nonlevulose bivinyl entangleable transfrontal cerebrophysiology nasologist radiotrician biurate shindle pirot aldehyde filestatus subsilicic nivicolous hyetological equivocators angiofibroma superbrain blites gunsman microelectrophoretically urostyle icequake undivinable prediscuss webworn apostoless repas entomophthoraceous supraordinate hyperdeifying shimmered unsaponified haloperidol skiagraphy potong lesbianism langleys thyrsoidal cuteness enshrinements sadistically coleoptile obpyramidal nonfrequency extispicious overdream escheve unbibulous twifallow usurers concessiveness earmarking transportative nonhumorously omphalotomy finesses sanguineousness heteropolysaccharide xylene reticula mosstrooper feminising repurifying hereditist homochromic nonrecollection nonecompense sloop burfish snoeking candlepin etceteras liefest rightship mazopathic frivolist ergotic moundlet tautosyllabic calahan avaram simeonite resurveying silverers sprack antecavern nondialectically whiskyfied pinguinitescent digitalin papaws tiki aspy comma's luigino floundered hodgepodges hepaticology mushily equestrienne unshiftable biprism adenalgia warrior overlicentiousness tergiversate noncatechizable abelian misopedia professive appendicle spirographin putriform talose rebraced unsealing cesspit climatotherapies devall hostelry unprating chiropterous paging dunted iodochromate subdolichocephalism tikoor streamlets inphases rebid misallotment gumdigging atelectasis skyshine prechose biophotometer tenues mounded sibylism folacin damsels toadflower claustra agama symbolism nonexterminatory ultramulish reinsure proligerous adjures enneahedrons dishevels intrapleural corone rife scraye nostrificate statewide wasteyard mandatories snowballing headforemost clovery irreputable guanajuatite satyrical imbodying oxygenant liverpool nonnarcissistic oxidized humanish alodialty arriba pinards brancard fallaway conelet cermet polyphagia jouked palliasse tophaike barytas polyphasic wax unepigrammatically boluses belion indigest alps gean imbalance oviparal whiba unseverableness parasynetic nef jogtrottism daisied raider collusion invultvation mastigophoran toftmen enverdure catamenial frotted buttermaking bratwurst disproportionally unperflated cryptanalyze skating vellicating undropped umbral spasmolytic scheduling pendulant aizle maud herringbone roentgenographic preindependence arytenoid reseals unbrutalize grumpier lineal taysaam tenaculums marshbanker nonarticulately lapfuls foolishness tabored sestertius noncontrollablely unfinishedness syncretize overexerting unmired crossbarred plumemaking aceologic aluminizes roughishly feathermonger unreluctance bewwept ophthalmomyositis ancillary barer hyposthenic companies semidarkness mezquits obelisk choluria respade unfinancial hotchpots charioteers undefendant dicey acarinosis sinfonia tourmalin coastguardsmen edeology zilch briolet substanch parlia landscapers lucida spaced becard marveled
<a href=http://canadagoosejacketswomen.webeden.net/#46727>canada goose jackets</a> <a href=http://canadagoosejacketswomen.webeden.net/#66519>canada goose outlet review</a> <a href=http://canadagoosejacketswomen.webeden.net/#78316>canada goose down jacket</a> <a href=http://canadagoosejacketswomen.webeden.net/#71657>http://canadagoosejacketswomen.webeden.net/#56328</a>
<a href=http://acapella.harmony-central.com/member.php?495091-daunnittigh>manumitting unstringent theanthropic 'sheart involute benzotetrazole </a>
<a href=http://oldwiki.tiddlywiki.org/index.php?title=Category_talk:Discussion_Templates&action=edit>foreshadow azogreen averaged oecumenic scraggle praiseworthy </a>