Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use of fur in the Dominate army
Hi!

In the group, we were wondering, that apart from the fur-pileus, could the late romans (4-5th cent.) use furs as decoration (you know, like a fox on the back)? Our sources give us no mention, but the use of fur hats as a standard raises the question.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Those piliei/Pannonian caps aren't really fur. Most are made from wool (atrachan sheep) or leather. Don't confuse them with modern fur hats, although fur might sometimes have been used. Fur trimmings don't seem to have been particular popular during Late Antiquity. Maybe it was seen as barbaric fashion?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
We got the idea of fur from Bishop's Roman Military Eq. pg. 172, "a leather or fur cap worn under the helmet." Though Osprey states the leather and "wooly leather" ones, that point is right, we will consider this in the future, we have to evolve in many aspects.

Thing is, we don't know "how barbaric" we can go. Obviously we want uniformity, and we have a rather strict concept, that we have to keep our timescale during the rign of Valentinian I. He has a lot of strings attached to the area we live around. But we tend to encourage personal development of our equipment after it has been agreed on by the majority, and that opens up possibilities to look a bit more barbarian.

PS. Thanks for the likes on FB, it means a lot Smile
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Quote: We got the idea of fur from Bishop's Roman Military Eq. pg. 172, "a leather or fur cap worn under the helmet." Though Osprey states the leather and "wooly leather" ones, that point is right, we will consider this in the future, we have to evolve in many aspects.
Not arguing agianst dr Bishop, but caps worn under the helmet were most likely felt arming-caps? They are not the same as the pilleus!

Quote:Obviously we want uniformity, and we have a rather strict concept, that we have to keep our timescale during the rign of Valentinian I. He has a lot of strings attached to the area we live around. But we tend to encourage personal development of our equipment after it has been agreed on by the majority, and that opens up possibilities to look a bit more barbarian.
Why do you want uniformity? Apart from the shield design, uniformity is a modernism! We have no evidence that (alte) Roman units marched around in similar tunic styles. It's nice for the audience, but unproven in any way.

Quote:PS. Thanks for the likes on FB, it means a lot Smile
My pleasure! Thanks for the link, I had no idea you guys existed!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Romans Dominate Texas RenFair 2011 John M McDermott 18 2,957 11-16-2011, 12:52 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius