Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quiz
Not exactly a bridge, no - the arch actually supports the wall of the acropolis above where it crosses a deep road cutting - the real gate is in a fortified outwork on the far side of the picture. Despite this, the arch is called in Italian porta...

Enough clues yet? ;-)

(incidentally, is anyone else having difficulties getting new posts on this thread to load? I have to click 'reply' to read what others are saying...)
Nathan Ross
In re: getting new posts to load... I was wondering whether my memory was going, since I was ready to swear I had asked if this was a bridge, and yet could find no post of mine. So I tried to actually ask the question, and saw that I had already done so. In other words... I get the same problem as you.

As for the photograph... Cumae?
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)
Quote:Cumae?

Nope! Keep going south some way...

Extra clue: the site was the birthplace of a couple of famous philosophers, and a school of philosophy was named after it.
Nathan Ross
Well, that's no longer a clue, that's explaining everything all the way. It's Velia/Elea. And this must be the viaduct called Porta Rosa. Nice Wikipedia article here.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:It's Velia/Elea.

It is! Well done Jona, over to you again...
Nathan Ross
OK, here is is: obviously not an ancient site, although it has a lot to do with Antiquity. But what and where is it?

[attachment=7720]Knipsel.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jona Lendering
My website
I'm going to assume the "Knipsel.jpg" the mouse gives when hovering over the image is wrong.
Knipsel is a Dutch word for a photo or a piece of text you have cut out of, for example, a newspaper. Or a clipping from a Google Earth photo
Jona Lendering
My website
Knipsel is a Dutch word for a photo or a piece of text you have cut out of, for example, a newspaper. Or a clipping from a Google Earth photo
Jona Lendering
My website
Glyptothek, München, Königsplatz. In the court is the best cafe in Town, I think. Quiet, best Ambiente.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Yup. And a splendid museum it is, look!

Over to you Christian, I sort of expected that you would be the first to identify it. ;-)
Jona Lendering
My website
What and where? :-)
[attachment=7722]IMG_0166.JPG[/attachment]
:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Christian K.

Roman Gatehouse.... There's a second wall in the background so I want to say Theodosian Walls in Constantinople.
Nope.
Christian K.

Hint:
It was part of a larger structure.
Christian K.