Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What books do you want to see?
As opposed to the 'What books don't you want to see' thread here are two books I would like to see some time..

LEGIONARY
The armour, equipment and clothing of the Imperial Roman legionary.
By M.C. Bishop, illustrated by G. Sumner.

and

CENTURION
The armour, equipment and clothing of the Imperial Roman Centurion.
By M.C. Bishop, illustrated by G. Sumner.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Say ...

I'd like to see those books too. When is the publication date ... ?

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I always wanted to write a women warriors in ancient and medieval(or to the present?) times using texts, illustrations from manuscripts etc
I think that would have a market?
regards
Richard
Yes, indeed, those would be interesting books, Graham!

I would also like to see one on Roman Cavalry, by the same contributers.
Also one on the Roman Navy and it's marines and crews.
One on Fortifications from Greece through to the Fall of Constantinople, and the remanents in Greece.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I am totally agree with Graham and Gaius Iulius Caesar: Legionary: The armour, equipment and clothing of the Imperial Roman legionary, Centurion: The armour, equipment and clothing of the Imperial Roman Centurion and Roman Cavalry: The armour, equipment and clothing of the Imperial Roman legionary.

Both By M.C. Bishop, illustrated by G. Sumner.
Next volumes of Raffaela D'amato's trilogy on the Roman equipment and the above mentioned series of books by Bishop and Sumner, accompanied by a late roman volume by Coulston & Sumner.

Next would be a book on Roman cavalry, less focussing on equipment (already tackled above), but with a focuss on logistics and especially training of the horses, with lots of room for classical dressage, etc.

And of course a lengtly book describing experimental archeology experiments on the Roman army. Christian's Koepfers (ed.) book is a very nice start, but lots more could be done.
(of course that one would be rather expensive to get done)
ALA I BATAVORUM
And another two.

A.U.C. - A timeline of the Roman Empire.
One page devoted to every year of it existence covering most important dates in Roman history (not sure if something similar already excist and I would be even more interested in the supplements were all notes are listed)

And personally I would also like something (although I also guess it would receive barely readers) where scientific terminology and methods are discussed/declared for the amateur, so people can use them in the right way. Terminology like reconstruction, reproduction, replica, model, etc are often used interchangeable, which they aren't. Same goes for the (so often incorrect) use of 'experimental archeology' where there isn't any experiment at all.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:

Next would be a book on Roman cavalry, less focussing on equipment (already tackled above), but with a focuss on logistics and especially training of the horses, with lots of room for classical dressage, etc.

Gets my vote! Big Grin
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I would have hoped that would be in the one book, on my wish list. :wink:

Jurjen, I'm sure there are a couple of books out that deal with the history on a timeline
basis like that, with varying degrees of success. I would need to dig through things before commiting to that though! Confusedmile:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Legionary: The armour, equipment and clothing of the Imperial Roman legionary, ... and Roman Cavalry: The armour, equipment and clothing of the Imperial Roman legionary. Both By M.C. Bishop, illustrated by G. Sumner.
Or both by Peter Connolly, illustrated by Peter Connolly? :wink:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
1. The Roman Army in the Age of Crisis, AD200-300

Contains a complete and detailed account of all significant Roman military finds from a third century context - Dura Europos, Harzhorn, the Rhine and Danube fortifications, Leon, Poitiers etc. Also a summary of available evidence on the development of military organisation and tactics, changes in officers' and soldiers' careers, army reforms and the development (or not) of dedicated field forces. Archaeology, inscriptions, pictorial representation (statuary, reliefs, mosaics, paintings), coinage and literary evidence all included. All of it tied together with readable and insightful analysis - a small dose of reasoned speculation and hypothesis (aka myth-exploding revisionism!) would be good too... ;-)

2. The North-Western Provinces in the Later Roman Empire

Less glam, but I've been looking for something like this for a while. Social, cultural and political background on Gaul, Britain and the Rhine frontier beween about AD230 and the fall of the west: villa estates, imperial cities, bagaudae rebels, barbarian incursions, germanic pirates, Gallo-Roman aristocrats and poets, agri deserti and a succession of interesting usurpers...

3. The Boudica Revolt: a strategic reappraisal

Yeah, I know a lot of people would probably rather see this one in a certain other thread instead, but I'd be interested at least...

Confusedmile:
Nathan Ross
Duncan Campbell wrote:

Alberto wrote:
"Legionary: The armour, equipment and clothing of the Imperial Roman legionary, ... and Roman Cavalry: The armour, equipment and clothing of the Imperial Roman legionary (Cavalryman). Both By M.C. Bishop, illustrated by G. Sumner".
"Or both by Peter Connolly, illustrated by Peter Connolly?"

Well to paraphrase one of my favourite Scottish authors "However, Roman military equipment studies have moved on since 1988".

Since then their have been two editions of Bishop and Coulston's 'Roman Military Equipment'. Mike Bishop's own volume on Lorica Segmentata and the spectacular armour finds at Carlisle, Caerleon and now Leon to evaluate and incorporate. Plus of course many other individual finds, which I would love to illustrate.

And if ever the two titles which I humorously suggested at the beginning ever did appear, they would certainly fulfil a personal ambition.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Since then their have been two editions of Bishop and Coulston's 'Roman Military Equipment' ...
Point taken!

Quote:Well to paraphrase one of my favourite Scottish authors ...
Just one of your favourites?! :wink:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Two wonderfull books, really. I mean Peter Connolly Legionary/Cavalryman

...and Roman Cavalry: The armour, equipment and clothing of the Imperial Roman legionary (Cavalryman). Both By M.C. Bishop, illustrated by G. Sumner".

Oopps, what cluelessness!! :oops:
Quote:Next would be a book on Roman cavalry, less focussing on equipment (already tackled above), but with a focuss on logistics and especially training of the horses, with lots of room for classical dressage, etc.
Ann Hyland's Equus: The Horse in the Roman World (1990) covers both these aspects fairly well (using the author's personal experience of horse training), although it is quite old now. Does it need significant revision though?