Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CASTLESHAW ROMAN FORT-FORTLET
Recently I was commissioned to provide illustrations for new interpretation panels to be installed at the site of a fort and fortlet at Castleshaw.

The site is situated roughly half way between the cities of Manchester and Leeds alongside the old Roman road from the legionary fortresses of Chester via Manchester to York. If the light is in the right direction, the Roman road in the direction of Manchester is visible as a straight line leading away from the fort down the valley.

In spite of its close proximity to large modern cities Castleshaw itself remains an isolated site and must have been little different in Roman times. There was no substantial civil settlement and neither the fort or fortlet were occupied for long.

I was quite impressed with the new panels and I hope they add value to the site which is well worth a detour if you are in the vicinity.

Graham.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Very nice indeed! I will send you a little comment on one of the drawings by mail.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Average height of a Roman fortlet in Britain tikeshe 4 1,823 08-01-2017, 01:14 AM
Last Post: Dan Howard