Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crest and holder for Gallic A
I have an Imperical Gallic A helm, and I'm thinking of adding a crest and mount. The problem with this possible project is that many different sources suggest different ideas. I know that none of the standard manufacturers for re-enactors make that helm with a crest mount. However, I have seen in the past some custom made helms with a soldered mount similar to the Gallics J and I Aquincum. I have also recently seen one with a crest, mount, and holder like the Gallic G. Which is more evident?
Shame the helmet database is down. Although I do not recall specific examples of the Gallic A other than the Nijmegen (which you sold me) and the Guttman, I suspect that it would really depend on what time period you are portraying. The Gallic A had a rather lengthy lifespan and saw both the Montefortino, Port/Agen (whom these hemets are related), Coolus, and other Gallics/Italics come and go. Unless someone has a stash of Gallic A or even Agen/Port helmet photos, the "pole" type from the Montefortino/Coolus/Gallic I/J would seem more appropriate.

It is clearly evident that at least some of these helmets (Nimegen and Guttman) did not have any type of crest mechanism, so how inaccurate would it be to say that a soldier wishing to upgrade may have just taken whatever was available. I think that we should go off of historical examples firstly, baring that do what you feel a legionary would
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
There is a photo of a Gallic A somewhere showing the filial type crest holder, such as on the Montefortino.
I have bee nplanni ng to have a mount made for mine similar to the 'C' and 'G' type holders.
Peronis from Armamentaria custom made his.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I did the same, I custom made mine to fit a crest mount like the Gallic G and H. I wanted to mount a "knob" like on the Montefortino and later Gallic I but I couldn't find any pictures of orginals to support my desire. It does make since, in my mind, that the Montefortinos and the Italic helmets had crest knobs so it as at least possible for the Gallic helmets to as well.

Anyone out there have a picture of a Gallic A helmet with a crest knob or where to find such a picture?
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
The Worms Gallic A type has a small finial fitting retro-fitted for its crest, (two holes drilled into the browguard for feathers or fastening of a transverse crest too)
[Image: WormsImpGallA-10.jpg]
and the bronze Gallic A type helmets from the Moroboti wreck all have double-tunnel tubes as per Gallic C (Sisak)so either is acceptable.
[Image: MallorcaGallicA.jpg]
OK! Thanks all (especially Peroni)! Helps me very much. I love this forum!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Imperial Gallic \'C\' (Sisak) crest holder dragon25 2 1,591 06-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Lech Gallic H w/crest Tiberius 8 2,043 12-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius
  Repairing a slotted crest holder for an Italic B Octavianvs 11 2,808 10-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Octavianvs