Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Little Emperors
The novel, written by Alfred Duggan, is set in early 5th Century Britain, speculates on the events that led to the withdrawal of legions from the island. Regardless of the historicity of the events (the book is fifty years old), having a protagonist, the Praesus of Britania Prima, gave an interesting insight into the management and the politics of the management of provinces.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
I'm not sure if the portrayal events was correct (or even whether the power structures of the period functiuoned that way), but it was indeed a nice book to read. Duggan was quite fatalistic in his approach - I did not have the feeling that his characters had any chance to avert the doom and desctruction that was about to engulf Britain. Maybe the age of the book is telling where he describes Late Roman society as hopelessly corrupt and only interested in power and endless luxury. I like how he treats his protagonist, although I think he totally exaggerated the illiteracy and barbarism of his British warlord. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)