Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kelmarsh History Festival Abandonned
Due to torrential rain last night and now flooding, the Kelmarsh History Festival has been abandonned.

Please share the following message from English Heritage for anyone at Kelmarsh, I'm trying to reach as many traders and re-enactors as possible who may be there:

"If your kit is damaged, make sure you document everything with photos, and a member of our Events team will be in touch as soon as they can. They're evacuating the site at the moment so it is unlikely to be until Monday, but we will make sure that someone is in touch as soon as possible. Please could you send us a message wit your contact details? Thank you."

PS Send a message to English Heritage not me please!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
A further amendment to the earlier statement :roll:

"We just want to clarify that we were really upset to hear that kit has been damaged in the dreadful weather but as the circumstances were beyond our control we cannot accept any liability for this. Our intention is to help re-enactors and traders document the damage so as to help with their personal insurance claims, not an offer for compensation. Although we are very sorry that there has been damage, we recommend that all those that have damaged personal property contact their insurers direct to resolve the issue. We have documented the flooding however so if they need more images and proof they were in attendance get in touch and we can send these through next week."

We managed to escape around 2pm. The water was really quite horrific, the pictures just don't do the water justice. :-( I hope people still there now get away safely tomorrow.

Amy Wallace

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group
www.comitatus.net
That's a bit of a turn around!! One imagines EH got inundated with messages!!!

Glad you got away safely.

Can see why its called Kel"MARSH" now...
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Well, never before I've been making a 16 hours car drive for a couple of beers on friday nigth. Was nice to meet some friend again, though!

Now getting all my clothes and sleeping gear dry and cleaned again. My kit was luckily enough still packed away.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Gutted for you lot, I really hope people didn't loose too much of their kit. I for one am so glad we are going to the nevada desert for out holidays... I'm quite depressed by the weather we have been experiencing here.
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
We had a shower that lasted half an hour on Saturday, but having returned from a week of 30 degree weather,
It's still a shock to the system!
Same as Claire, I hope not too much kit was ruined!
At least you had a drink with mates Jurjen, Always worth a 16 hour drive for that!
Thanks again!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
At least someone has a sense of humour about it...

Moi Watson

Sorry to see you guys got flooded out. I should have checked the website myself, as also drove all the way down there just to find it was off. But every cloud has a silver lining as they say. The sun came out in the afternoon so I spent the afternoon watching the cold war jets thundering up and down the runway over at Bruntingthorpe, including a truly awesome Lightning scramble!
Scott Goring
Awful to see so many tents flooded. I hope all members here got away with wet feet only?
Let's hope that Kelmarsh does not go the way of Kirby Hall. :-(
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I had been ecited for this for the past 8 months when I first heard about it. Was hoping it would rekindle my work mojo (have 4 weeks left of uni)...it felt like christmas had been cancelled!!

I wait until the day I can see Roman reenactment...sigh...one day...one day

sorry to hear about the kit as well

x
Come to Housesteads weekend of 18-19th...not as big as kelmarsh, but it is Roman! Confusedmile:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ahahaha I do love housesteads but Kelmarsh was reat for price...i'm in Birmingham so housesteads not gonan be the cheapest for public transport Sad
Well, I'm sure one of the members from coventry area would give you a lift!
I'm in York, so would offer, but it's a ways away too.
Still, I understand your dissappointment, we were at Kelmarsh in 2010, it was my first multi period event! Hopefully you will get there next year!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chalke Valley History Festival Vindex 0 1,046 05-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  \"Yorkshire\'s Greatest Living History Festival\" John Conyard 4 2,071 08-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Kelmarsh Festival of History P Sertorius Scaevola 9 2,936 08-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Last Post: ParthianBow