Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hadrians Wall
Radio 4 did a piece on Hadrian's wall last week;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01...ians_Wall/
Go Rado!!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
A good programme & I'm off to the Wall tomorrow to visit all those museums I haven't seen yet :grin:
Any one want to recommend any, especially for a late Roman re-enactor like me?
Semisalis Abruna of the Batavi iuniores Britanniciani
aka Nick Marshall
Quote:I'm off to the Wall tomorrow to visit all those museums I haven't seen yet
Walking? (Take an umbrella. :wink: )
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:A good programme & I'm off to the Wall tomorrow to visit all those museums I haven't seen yet :grin:
Any one want to recommend any, especially for a late Roman re-enactor like me?
Most of the museums focus on the earlier, more glamorous periods...

South Shields isn't technically on the Wall, and it is a bit of a trek to get to, but it does have free entry(!). The museum is small but it does have third/fourth century stuff, as well as reconstructed third century barracks and gatehouse outside. When I was there there were some third century reenactors marching around. I had a good chat with the guy in charge about their equipment - if you do go there, be sure to check out the armoury on top of the gatehouse.

Wallsend also has a very good museum, and a reconstructed bathhouse, and is slightly easier to get to from the centre of Newcastle. Think it's English Heritage, not sure though.

The Great North Museum in Newcastle is relatively new and has a range of interesting artefacts on display, including H.R. Robinson's first reconstructed set of Corbridge segmented armour. It doesn't have the charm of the old Museum of Antiquities though. (Free entry)

Corbridge is a reasonable good museum that should have a brand new display of Corbridge Hoard material (I just missed out on this when I went). (English Heritage)

Housesteads has a good museum and lots of visible archaeology. (National Trust)

Vindolanda is a few miles away and arguably very worth a visit if you haven't been. It is the wrong time period for you but the museum is extremely good. There's also the Roman Army Museum to the west(Paid entry)

At the other end of the Wall, Birdoswald has the remains of post-Roman hall built over one of the granaries so might be worth a quick visit. (English Heritage)

If it's more convenient for you, Tullie House Museum in Carlisle is excellent, with an even more recent Roman gallery than the Great North Museum. I don't know how good it is late Roman stuff though. (Paid entry)
Quote:Housesteads has a good museum and lots of visible archaeology. (National Trust)
(Paid entry) And a reasonably good filmshow. Photography allowed. Confusedmile:

Quote:There's also the Roman Army Museum to the west(Paid entry)
(Carvoran.) And an excellent 3D filmshow and "legionary organization" wall-projection. It's the Roman Army Museum, after all. And the stuffed auxiliary wears melon beads. Love it! Photography allowed. Big Grin

Quote:At the other end of the Wall, Birdoswald has the remains of post-Roman hall built over one of the granaries so might be worth a quick visit. (English Heritage)
Slightly underwhelming, as it's just some timber posts stuck in the foundations of the granary. Small museum with stuffed archaeologist. Photography allowed. :|

Quote:If it's more convenient for you, Tullie House Museum in Carlisle is excellent, with an even more recent Roman gallery than the Great North Museum. I don't know how good it is late Roman stuff though. (Paid entry)
Meh, I prefer the other museums. Peter Connolly's saddle no longer on display. Photography strictly forbidden. :x
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote: Small museum with stuffed archaeologist. Photography allowed. :|

And who, pray, is the archaeologist? Have Madame Tussaud's done Archaeologist of the Year Tony Wilmot already??? :wink:

Quote:Meh, I prefer the other museums. Peter Connolly's saddle no longer on display. Photography strictly forbidden. :x

Does anyone know where the saddle is? The museum store one assumes.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:And who, pray, is the archaeologist? Have Madame Tussaud's done Archaeologist of the Year Tony Wilmot already??? :wink:
Yes it is Wilmott and the Barbour it wears was allegedly really his.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:
Robert Matthew post=316486 Wrote:There's also the Roman Army Museum to the west(Paid entry)
(Carvoran.) And an excellent 3D filmshow and "legionary organization" wall-projection. It's the Roman Army Museum, after all. And the stuffed auxiliary wears melon beads. Love it! Photography allowed.
Beg to differ, m'lud. Vindolanda Trust don't allow photography at either of their sites now.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
My personal favorites: Vindolanda, Arbeia (South Shields) and Segedunum (Walls-end). But then, I'm mainly looking at the reconstructions and finds in the museums, less about the stone remains outside. Housestead is the most impressive fort in my opinion, though.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Corbridge is worth a look in my view but would second Arbeia and Vindolanda. I always find the Roman Army Museum a disappointment since you're paying for it.

My personal favourite is Chesters and it has a large collection of inscriptions which can absorb me for hours.

And Flavinus is in Hexham Abbey should you wish to see him "in person", although a replica of his tombstone is in Corbridge Museum.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
[attachment=4642]roman9Small.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=4641]eagle079Small.jpg[/attachment]
I have to say that Robert missed out Chesters museum that has the best collection of artifacts on Hadrian's Wall, I have to agree with Mike that the Vindolana Trust have never allowed photography in their museums.
I have to say that I have never had the time to watch the film of the eagle along the wall right through even though I made the Eagle and about 40% of the museum and got it rolling some 30 years ago also the chamfron down at Vindolanda.
The right one is Vindolanda and the left is Trimontium

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
(Many thanks to the OP for linking to that radio show. I completely missed it so very much appreciated.)

Quote:(Carvoran.) And an excellent 3D filmshow and "legionary organization" wall-projection. It's the Roman Army Museum, after all. And the stuffed auxiliary wears melon beads. Love it! Photography allowed.
The film annoys me slightly as it does buy into the whole 'Northumberland is a frozen wasteland' meme that is very popular with southerners but irritating to a native of the area. However it is well produced and presents some excellent virtual reconstructions.

They also have a Roman waggon and a cavalryman fleeing enemy archers(?) which are both pretty cool. I'm a Friend of Vindolanda so get free entry to both Vindolanda and RAM - well worth it imho.

It's unfortunate that neither site allows photography - they have the only display I can think of of all three armour types together, and in a tactile display to boot! (Er, at least, I hope it was meant to be tactile...) The leatherwork is also fantatic, as is the chamfron which deservedly has pride of place.
Quote:Meh, I prefer the other museums. Peter Connolly's saddle no longer on display. Photography strictly forbidden. :x
Fair point - I was assessing it on the basis of accessibility to the general public, as a specifically-constructed display rather than on the exhibits displayed. (I'm sorry I missed the saddle!) Tullie House is an excellent museum/gallery overall, certainly better than the gloomy chaos of the GNM.
Quote:I have to say that Robert missed out Chesters museum that has the best collection of artifacts on Hadrian's Wall
Yeah, Chesters was a complete oversight on my part... It's impressive that they have so much stuff there (including a good range of small finds now) but it is certainly the most old fashioned of the museums. Lots of inscriptions, but not much context. Worth a visit for the bath house and sunken strongroom as well though (the bath house is the one reproduced at Wallsend).

Anyway, hope you have a great day Semisalis Abruna!
Robert.
It is correct what you say about Chesters being a bit old fashioned but then the board of Trustees for the Clayton Collection tend to keep it that way.
I did work at Chesters some years back and have to say that being a little old fashioned myself I enjoyed all of that.
Indeed the collection holds many pieces from all over the wall and even though Vindolanda would love to have all their bits back the collection will never be split up for that I think was layed down by Clayton and his family decendants.
I should mention that I also worked at Housesteads roman fort as well and and being a local myself I am very familiar with Hadrian's Wall.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:It is correct what you say about Chesters being a bit old fashioned but then the board of Trustees for the Clayton Collection tend to keep it that way.
I did work at Chesters some years back and have to say that being a little old fashioned myself I enjoyed all of that.
Oh, I didn't mean to unduly criticise - it's set in a lovely building and you certainly get the most efficient use of wall space possible! I think my exclusion may also relate to bad childhood memories though (I found the headless statues terrifying when I was very small...).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  roman army fortifications pre-hadrians wall felixgallus 2 1,626 09-13-2016, 03:35 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Free online course Archeology of Hadrians Wall Fabricius Carbo 3 2,058 07-26-2016, 08:24 PM
Last Post: felixgallus
  Units Based on Hadrians Wall felixgallus 4 2,143 07-26-2016, 08:20 PM
Last Post: felixgallus