Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The greek linothorax
Ok everybody (if your still out there) I would like anybodys opinion, theory or just plain weird ideas on what they were and how they were made. As this appears to be an area of historical research that everybody agrees with the layered linen idea but there is little disscusion on its construction or usefulness.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Have you checked out Matthew Amt's Greek Hoplite Page? He is a wealth of information, and has constructed his own Linothorax, learning much in the process looks like. Check there, good place to start. <p></p><i></i>
It's amazingly light weight and stiff. It would definitely take a lot of effort for a sword or arrow to pierce all of it. <p></p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I visit Matthew Amt's page, but he says "Peter Connolly has the most information and the best reconstruction ... I'm basically taking Connolly at his word."<br>
<br>
www.larp.com/hoplite/linothor.html<br>
<br>
How can you recommend such approach? <p></p><i></i>
** Vincula/Lucy **
It's easy to recommend following Connolly because he has done the research and made the kit. Who better? A linothorax based on Connolly's work was presented to one of the foremost Greek authorities recently and the maker was congratulated on the accuracy of the re-construction. I haven't the time to research primary sources, so I have to follow someone else's interpretation; Connolly seems to me to be someone who tests his theories strictly. He may still be wrong - in the game of trying to guess what actually went on in the past, we can all be wrong, we just have to place our bets on the most likely runner.<br>
Paul <p></p><i></i>
Pretty much what Paul said! We'd all love to see more significant information and hard data than what Connolly gives, but I don't think there's a lot more out there. In all the talk about it over the years, no one has come up with anything other than theories regarding thickness, glues, etc. The one that I made at least looks pretty much like the vase paintings.<br>
<br>
The only other modern source that goes into much detail is Nick Sekunda, and he comes to the bizarred conclusion that it was made of iron plates hinged together and simply covered with linen! That seems to be contradicted by the name "linothorax" first of all, and by references in ancient literature to people "armored in linen". Secondly, vase paintings clearly show the shoulder flaps sticking straight up when unfastened, and hinged iron plates won't do that. Third, there is an ancient writer who tells us that the linothorax isn't as good in warfare because it's not as resistant to weapons as a bronze cuirass, but it's great for hunting because lions' teeth will break off in it--that doesn't sound like a description of an iron cuirass!<br>
<br>
It's very true that I have not done a lot of primary research! But I think most of the pertinant bits of data have trickled down to me by now. I'd be thrilled to find out that we've all missed something significant! Not that I'd run home and make a new linothorax...<br>
<br>
Khairete,<br>
<br>
Matthew <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Matthew,<br>
I've got several of Secunda's books and I agree that he comes up with some bizzare conclusions! I think the linen linothorax was made out of linen! I figured that out without a PhD!<br>
Johnny <p></p><i></i>
Agreed about Secunda. Stick with Connolly.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books