Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auxiliary equipment weights
Apologies in advance if this should be in the reconstructor's forum, thought here would be more appropriate.

I know quite a few people here have full outfits of second century auxiliary infantryman equipment (mail, shield, spatha, shield etc). I was wondering if there was a broadly accepted - ideally published - breakdown of the weights of these various items of equipment? I'm looking for comparanda for the breakdown given by Fuentes and Junkelmann of the weight of the soldier's burden on the march (as published in JRMES, Fuentes 1991). Although these are detailed, both discuss 'legionary' weapons (curved scutum, gladius, pilum etc.) which aren't directly comparable to the auxiliary equivalents.

My assumption is that the other items of kit carried were broadly the same as those carried by legionaries - cooking equipment, millstone, clothing, contents of sarcina etc - so it should just be the weight of the panoply that I'd be looking for.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Equipment of the Imperial Roman Auxiliary (infantry) LvpvsRomanvs 27 12,884 07-06-2018, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Antoninus05