Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible subarmalis depictions/images
Quote:
Quote:Of course the Romans could and did, but they also had a subarmalis and a thoracomachus
Did they? What is the earliest reference to either of these terms in the texts and how often are they mentioned?

A thought that struck me - so the primary literary source for the subarmalis is circa 1st-2nd century AD if I'm not mistaken (forgive me for forgetting the exact content of the source - one of the emperors ordering the Praetorians to appear in only subarmalis)? This is also the period where we see these garments depicted above. Perhaps the stand-alone subarmalis, as we see above, was a Roman development during the 1st-2nd century AD? Yes, yes, complete conjecture, I know. But there is definitely some garment, that looks very close to what we believe a subarmalis to be depicted in these images, and associated with Mars, no less.
Alexander
Quote:It is clothing, not armour. It just happens to be specifically designed to be worn under armour.

Semantics. I'm saying it's a garments that's part of the armour, to be worn under the metal part. I guess you're saying it's a garment specifically designed to be worn under armour but called 'clothing'. Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)