Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
greek peltast gear
I am setting up a greek peltast impression, can anyone tell me what the kit should include? <p></p><i></i>
Good afternoon<br>
<br>
Initialy the peltast would have his chiton (tunic), a "moonshaped" Thracian shield and 2 to five javelins,<br>
A knife or dagger was not uncommon.<br>
Some southern Greek peltasts used round shields.<br>
<br>
A peltast of the Pelponessian war who had survived long and was a veteran could have aquired possibly from looting a Beotian style helmet and a sword in addition to his javelins. Not a Korinthian helmet though, because hearing and clear vision were more important in a skirmish<br>
<br>
After the Pelponessian war the Athenian General Ifikrates armed his peltasts with a long spear in adition to the javelins. He effectively created a dual role infantry that could fight in open fields and also negotiate difficult terrain.<br>
<br>
Footware could have include the tall Thracian boots.<br>
In the hellenistic period peltats were armed with rectangular bigger shields called thyreos hence their name thyreoforoi. Many akademics claim that they were like the celtic shields. The thureoforoi of the Spartan tyrant Navis had a cuirass hence their name "thorakitai"<br>
<br>
A number of the peltasts had a wide belt (zoni) reinforced with metal, hence the name evzoni that survives up to today in the description of the Hellenic republic presidential guard. (check Osprey publishig the Spartan Army)<br>
<br>
Peter Connoly woks and Osprey books can be a good visual aid source.<br>
I hope I helped you.<br>
Kind regards<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Interesting, 14. Do you know the dimensions of the pelte, by any chance? Also, does anyone have a pattern for boots, Thracian or Greek?<br>
Paul <p></p><i></i>
I would think that many would have fought barefoot, is this evidenced in any way? also, wouldn't some also carry slings with thier javelin? thank you for your help. <p></p><i></i>
I can't see them fighting barefoot in Thrace where, apparently, many of them suffered frostbite. Also, despite the artistic evidence, I'm inclined to think that soldiers who march long distances over rocky ground will wear boots or strong sandals. I suspect the wealthy would have worn sandals in daily life, if only to demonstrate their social status, and would thus have been unable to go barefoot on campaign. Finally, I have come across references to Kothournoi - specifically military boots designed for wearing on either foot. These may date from the Pelopponesian Wars or later, I don't know. In any case, I need a pair of boots (for parading around Peterborough in December, etc.) so I'm going to have a pair. Can anyone provide me with a pattern, please? <p></p><i></i>
Good afternoon<br>
Very interesting comment about the shield and weapon dimmensions.<br>
As any man at that time was expected to provide his own stuff, he would adjust the dimensions on his own needs and preferences. If you try to reconstruct you can safely tailor the dimensions to you built<br>
Most militay manuals are byzantine, probably copies from earlier roman ones and they also are vague on light troops gear.<br>
In North Greece there is a dying art of basket making from bushes that grow near the river Axios. I saw wicker made umbrella that had the diameter of an ancient Greek shield around 80 cm. Take this examble and imagine some harde boiled leather in salty water. It is very sturdy and light I asure you. A well build man with no money for hoplite gear ,this shield and some javelins and you get the picture of a peltast that would be described as unusual!<br>
<br>
Another "unusual" type would be a very poor Phokean light pentast with javelin and a hand axe of the type that they use to trim the branches of trees in groves.<br>
It could be the tool wor work and war. Metal was expensive before the industrial revolution and light troops were usualy poor with the exception of the Thrakians probably! <p></p><i></i>
www.dbaol.com <br>
The figures image gallery can offer a visual aid, altough I wouldn´t bet my money on them. It is a quick starting point.<br>
Try the Thrakian Army list.<br>
Best regards! <p></p><i></i>
Dear friend,<br>
Kothornoi are assosiated with the ancient Greek theater mostly. Ancient Greeks were familiar with the hard boiling of leather to create tough soles if need be.<br>
If you reconstract a Thracian Peltast except boots another<br>
bet would be the tradititonal pig-lether shandals worn over woolen socks called opanquer. They were comon in the villages of both sides of the greco-bulgarian border. They are part of the local national dress. Other visual aids could include photographs of the bulgarian army before WW1 or books with local volk codtume.<br>
An old shoe maker told me that the art is lost in the depths of time. Also traditional socks of goat gool are very waterproof and were issued to the balkan armies until the second world war.<br>
Remember tradition weigh more heavily at that ime and people used what seemed to be agood idea for very long.<br>
Kind regards<br>
Stefanos <p></p><i></i>
would footwraps of leather, that is just leather lashd and tiedaround the foot, be probable? I might just get some 3 oz. leather, and wrap that around from the bottom so as to cover the toes. <p></p><i></i>
Thanks for all the help, 14. I'll follow your tips.<br>
Paul <p></p><i></i>
Before you try footwraps read Xenophons "return of the 10000". The chapter where the Greeks pass through the land of the Kardouchoi (Kurds?) is very descriptive of the ill efects of leather in bare feet in cold weather.<br>
It is an eye wittness acount mind you!<br>
I hope I helped.<br>
Kind regards! <p></p><i></i>
thanks, you have helped a lot. <p></p><i></i>
the tunic is just a regular sleeveless tunic, like a roman work tunic, Right? I think I will make some boots for winter, and go barefoot in summer, my feet are very tough from walking barefoot on concrete and rock for much of my life.<br>
<br>
would many of the shields have been wood rather than wicker? <p></p><i></i>
Tunic OK<br>
The shield would be wicker if you rely on shoot and run tactics were speed matters.<br>
Thureoporoi peltasts of Helenistic period were using light wooden shields.<br>
Choise for the ancient peltast would be personal preference limited perhaps by the tactic that his unit or whatever co-fighters were doing (i.e. hit & run or more aggressive) <p></p><i></i>
Avete,<br>
<br>
I would imagine that being barefoot during a battle would be ill advised as you might tread upon sharp, discarded weapons!<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
<br>
-Spatha <p></p><i></i>