Matallos Chryseus
... The Greek text (from Aeschylus' Persians, line 314) reads :

Χρυσεὺς Μάταλλος μυριόνταρχος θανὼν
πυρσὴν ζαπληθῆ δάσκιον γενειάδα
ἔτεγγ’ ἀμείβων χρῶτα πορφυρᾶι βαφῆι·
καὶ Μᾶγος Ἄραβος Ἀρτάβης τε Βάκτριος,
ἵππου μελαίνης ἡγεμὼν τρισμυρίας,
σκληρᾶς μέτοικος γῆς, ἐκεῖ κατέφθιτο·

Now, most translations and scholia I look up for this has Matallos not only be a myriontarchos (leader of 10,000), but also the leader of the 30,000 "black horse" in the 5th line of this extract. Following the text, the 30,000 "black horse" should be led by Artabes the Bactrian, the last name before the office. Do I miss something or do your translations indeed make Artabes the leader of the 30,000?
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
Hello,

In "Les Perses" french translation of ALEXIS PIERRON
Here is the French translation of these verses (you can find on internet) and a note explaining this "hiatus" .I'll translate it into "my English.

Χρυσεὺς Μάταλλος μυριόνταρχος θανών,
ἵππου μελαίνης ἡγεμὼν τρισμυρίας, 315
πυρρὰν ζαπληθῆ δάσκιον γενειάδα
ἔτεγγ', ἀμείβων χρῶτα πορφυρέᾳ βαφῇ.
Καὶ Μᾶγος Ἄραβος, Ἀρτάβης τε Βάκτριος,
σκληρᾶς μέτοικος γῆς, ἐκεῖ κατέφθιτο.

Celui qui commandait à dix mille cavaliers, Matallus de Chryse (40) est mort; sa barbe rousse, épaisse, au poil hérissé, dé- 72 gouttait de son sang; son corps s*est teint de la couleur de la pourpre (41). Le mage Arabus, Artamès le Bactrien, ce chef de trente mille cavaliers aux coursiers noirs (42) ne sortiront plus de l'âpre contrée (43); ils y ont péri, et comme eux Amestris, Amphistrée, celui dont la main agitait une lance infatigable, le valeureux Ariomardus, qui sera regretté dans Sardes, Sisame le Mysien.

(42) Weil ; «Qui versus post 306 (314) legebatur, hic inserui. Illic ἵππου ἡγεμὼν τρισμυρίας post μυριόνταρχος; ferri non poterat. » En effet, le même homme ne. peut pas être à la fois chef de dix mille et chef de trente mille soldats. Avec le texte vulgaire, on est forcé de ne tenir aucun compte du sens propre de μυριόνταρχος, et de traduire par le terme vague de chef ou de général.

Indeed, the same man. can not be both leader and head of ten thousand to thirty thousand soldiers. With the text vulgar, we are forced to ignore the sense of μυριόνταρχος, and translate the vague term of chief or general.