Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Images needed for book on Julian\'s campaign
Hi everyone,

I've not posted in a while, but in the time since I last posted (a good five years back I believe) I've come to very much appreciate the Late Roman Empire, and in particular the character of Flavius Claudius Julianus, better known as Julian the "Apostate".

To cut to the chase, I'm thinking of possibly writing a book on the subject of his campaign into Persia in 363 A.D, where he made very good initial progress, coming to the gates of Seleucia-Ctesiphon itself, before strangely turning back and then getting himself killed whilst routing the enemy at the Battle of Samarra. In any case, what I need is this.

I need help, or at least direction, in finding some decent colour and hi-res images of the locations Julian may have campaigned in. I'm not saying the battle sites themselves (although these would be good, I very much doubt they are any available, and current circumstances make travelling to the desired areas impossible) but just things like the terrain, ruins and even some of the fortresses (Amida springs to mind).

I'm asking for help here, not only because of the wealth of information and knowledge contained within RAT (and the helpful nature of its members) but also because I know a lot of the members here are Osprey artists and writers, and maybe able to direct me. I need pictures that are either free/released to the public domain, or that do not charge exorbitant fees for publishing rights. I will probably end up using upwards of 30 images, and even though the publisher refunds this up to a point, I still have to provide the money upfront. So what I am asking is, does anyone know of any image library, or a place where I could acquire such images, either free or with a decent price?

I'd also like to underline the fact this is very much a tentative project, and while I have been in touch with the publisher, this is one of the first hurdles I will need to overcome, and I would very much appreciate any help or direction in this matter that you may be willing to provide.

Best wishes,
Yuri Deary
Good luck, it's certainly a book I would buy if it was a well written and well researched piece. I have spent months mulling over Julian's campaign!
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Quote:Good luck, it's certainly a book I would buy if it was a well written and well researched piece. I have spent months mulling over Julian's campaign!

Likewise! not sure I can help with images though...
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  D\'Amato book error? Spanish translation needed to compare Doc 2 1,082 08-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar