Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gourd canteen
OK, finished canteen for proof of concept. lessons learned:

[table]
[tr][td]1. Ensure when sanding hole in gourd material taken off isn't too much.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]2. Sisal is not appropriate for local roman or Spanish fiber, since it is made from an agave cactus that wasn't transplanted to North Africa until after the discovery of the Americas.[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]3. Paraffin wax while ok, does seem to be much more brittle than beeswax and will require "recharging" much more often.[/td][/tr]
[/table]

For my next canteen gourd, (which I have available) I will use hemp cord and beeswax.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
Quote:The sap in certain gourds is poisonous to humans,
Touron: "Is that a real gourd?" Bad Marsh: "Oh no, its cardboard with wax, go ahead and take a drink, see how nice it tastes. Your children can drink too."

Our Oberhauptcenturioführer: "Don't listen to that guy! Optio, get him away from the visitors NOW! I swear, I am going to have his feet caned."
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Excellent work, Joe. How many hours to weave the rope cover?

Marsh: you might experiment with that foot caning. Might make your caligae fit correctly?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I'd say ten hours off and on. Will go quicker with hemp, I think, won't bind as much.

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
It's hard to make the untwined strands of cord lie flat, isn't it? They were moistened when they twisted the rope together, so they tend to hold that shape. Craft store hemp should do just fine.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I have reworked the canteen cover in hemp, utilizing the same methods I used with sisal. The hemp gives a much cleaner and more regionally accurate interpretation.

[Image: x7txv.jpg]

[Image: 29o347d.jpg]

[Image: rs8utz.jpg]

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
Well done. Since that's a prototype, and you probably want a more detailed critique, go ahead and mail it to me, and I'll give you a write up. :roll:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Water carriers are a major shortage item in reenactment. I would be happy to also evaluate your work so make another and send it to me for extensive and thorough field testing over several campaigning seasons. :grin:
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Thank you, gentlemen, but I think I'll test this myself over the next couple years to verify the hardiness of the design Smile

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA