Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
celtic mercenaries
I have heard of celtic mercenaries being used by the greeks, when is the first instance of this recorded, and where would these particular celts have come from? <p></p><i></i>
After their their defeat in south Greece at 279 B.C. any warband that couldn´t follow the toughest group that crated "Galateia" in AsiA Minor could decide to take service to any state in the interminable Greek Civil wars.<br>
The first to employ them were the Macedonians.<br>
Later the Pergamenes and even the Ptoelemaic Egyptians.<br>
If the ruler employing them was able they were kept in check and they were considered reliable troops.<br>
With weak realers like Ptolemy "Fyskon" (aka pot+belly) they were prone to revolt and they were becoming an undiciplined mob with only desire to loot.<br>
For depiction of celts in egyptian service Tim Newark´s Ancient Celts with the grat artwork of Angus Mc Bright.<br>
I wouldn´t put my money on the text though for historical accuracy about theit campaign in Greece! <p></p><i></i>
Thanks, I think I might do a celtic mercenary impression instead of a greek peltast, being 6' 2'' fair skinned. I think I will do a celtic light infantryman, so just replace the shield and tunic with different types? <p></p><i></i>
Also, what about the celts that went with Alexander, what is the background behind them?<br>
<br>
I know my questions get quite incessant. <p></p><i></i>
In the Meditranean there is a 20 to 25 percent of the population that has fair caracteristics so no problem there.<br>
Please specify which celts went with Alexander.<br>
(sources?)<br>
Before Alexander went to Persia he fought the Trivalloi.<br>
Some authors consider them Celtic but is a hot debate.<br>
<br>
We can not rule out the induvidual fortune seeker but to my knowledge no celtic troops are assosiate with Alexander.<br>
Kind regards <p></p><i></i>
I think it was the trivalloi, weren't some western thracians celtic? <p></p><i></i>
Most histoy book give maps of Ancient Thrace that start from the cost fo the Agean sea and filish at the Danube.<br>
(aka. from Alexandroupolis-Greece to Iasion-Romania)<br>
This is not correct.<br>
The Trivalloi and the Getae and possibly Dacians weree occupying the lands of modern day Romania and Bulgaria<br>
The Trivalloi might had celtic elements in their lands<br>
The Getae are cinsidered by historians something between Skythians and Dakians. Some even claim they had Germanic elements in their population.<br>
To the ancient Greeks these people were considered distinct from the Thracians because they had different language and religion (thunder god Zalmoxes)<br>
I have to consult Arrian to see if there were enough Trivalloi to form a distinct unit in the army of Grate Alec.<br>
The Thracians that were living in the area of South Bulgaria and modern Thraki divided now between Greece and Turkey were said to be the children of the<br>
famous bard Orfeas and were considered Greeks<br>
Their gods were the same as other Greeks but Ares (Mars) the got of war was most revered.<br>
They were participating in the Olympic Games.<br>
(Only Greeks were allowed to participate until 146 B.C.)<br>
King Sitalkes (strong grain in Greek) won prize for his horses. All writen plaques in the above area are in Greek language.<br>
To summarize:<br>
Possible celtic elent in the Trivalloi not unlikely.<br>
But I cannot tell you if there were sizable enaugh to be destinct in the the army campaining in Asia.<br>
Celtic Mercenaries beyond doubt existed as a destinct unit in the Macedonian Army after 275 B.C.<br>
Hope I helped.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Khairete!<br>
<br>
For anyone just getting started in any ancient historical impression, you can't go wrong by finding a couple key books, such as Peter Connolly's "Greece and Rome at War", ISBN 185367303X (There's a new edition, might have a different ISBN.) It's got hoplites, peltasts, Gauls, Britons, Romans of all sorts, you name it. You can keep yourself busy with new reenacting projects for decades just from this one book! He has a number of smaller books such as "The Greek Armies" which go into a little more detail here and there. Another excellent starter book with great illustrations is John Warry's "Warfare in the Classical World". It gets reprinted all the time and should be readily available.<br>
<br>
There are also the Osprey books, most of which can't really be trusted for deep research but are great information and a good place to get started on basics. Less than 20 bucks each but over the years you will fill a bookshelf with them!<br>
<br>
Mind you, some cultures are pretty obscure and there is very little solid information on their clothing and equipment. Galatia was populated by Celts/Gauls, but there may have been influence from several other Asian cultures.<br>
<br>
Reenacting is all about doing what you WANT to do, so I wouldn't worry too much about height or hair color. Granted, you probably wouldn't make a very convincing hobbit or Zulu, but other than that, don't sweat it. I always tend to push research and historical accuracy, particularly for anything that's going to be displayed to the public, and a few good books will get you well on the way in that department. Then just follow your mood swings!<br>
<br>
And we're all still here and happy to answer more questions!<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
<br>
Matthew <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/