Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The use and value of salt
I think that most military types would appreciate this conversation. I am not so sure about our more academic friends.
More like 'The use and value of MRE Tabasco Sauce bottles' you mean. :-P
-Ryan

-Cave a sinistra manu utebatur pro bellator.
...the 35mm film containers filled with essential herb/spices supplies hidden in various pockets for field cooking :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:I think that most military types would appreciate this conversation. I am not so sure about our more academic friends.
Well, we certainly appreciate hearing of it!

Quote:More like 'The use and value of MRE Tabasco Sauce bottles' you mean. Tongue

I assume fish sauce played basically just that role in the Roman military...
A Legion's not a Legion without its emergency Garum ration! Big Grin
I did a search of the Vindolanda tablets and found this:

Quote:December, through Audax, of salt, pounds 85+, asses 12+ (?)

Vindolanda tablet 186

Does this mean they bought 85 pounds of salt for 12 asses? If so, 85 / 12 = 7, so one as would buy 7 Roman pounds of salt.

The tablet has been dated to 110 - 111 AD because it mentions consuls. At this time a legionary was paid (I think) 300 denarii a year. There were 16 asses to the denarius at this time, so a legionary was paid 300 X 16 = 4,800 asses per year. A single day's wage would be 4,800 / 365 = 13 asses. So with the wages of one day, a legionary could buy something like 91 pounds of salt (13 X 7 = 91).

If I'm doing all this correctly, it doesn't sound like salt was very expensive. Someone feel free to doublecheck my work. Wink
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
David

I'll happily accept that as a) mathematics is not my strong point and b) nor is my knowledge of the length of calendar months and years.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:I did a search of the Vindolanda tablets and found this:

Vindolanda tablet 186

Does this mean they bought 85 pounds of salt for 12 asses? If so, 85 / 12 = 7, so one as would buy 7 Roman pounds of salt.

The tablet has been dated to 110 - 111 AD because it mentions consuls. At this time a legionary was paid (I think) 300 denarii a year. There were 16 asses to the denarius at this time, so a legionary was paid 300 X 16 = 4,800 asses per year. A single day's wage would be 4,800 / 365 = 13 asses. So with the wages of one day, a legionary could buy something like 91 pounds of salt (13 X 7 = 91).

If I'm doing all this correctly, it doesn't sound like salt was very expensive. Someone feel free to doublecheck my work. Wink
Bear in mind that at Vindolanda, we may well be talking about auxiliaries rather than legionaries (although either could be present). Even if salt was relatively cheap though, it doesn't mean it wasn't also extremely valuable - think of the importance of petrol today. It's possible that the price was controlled to ensure it could always be available, with corresponding limits on how much you could buy as well (imagine if the next century over bought up all the salt that came through in a single shipment...).
However, the tablet does not state (or does it?) that the end amount was 12 asses, it could be the pound price (unit price). A pound of salt could then be bought with a days wage. Still, a pound of salt goes a long way.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:Still, a pound of salt goes a long way.
...not if you take it with you for a swim....
:wink:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:However, the tablet does not state (or does it?) that the end amount was 12 asses, it could be the pound price (unit price). A pound of salt could then be bought with a days wage. Still, a pound of salt goes a long way.

Yes, that's possible, but I think it is total price, and not unit price, because of other entries on the same tablet.

Quote:December, to Gracilis, nails for boots, number 100, asses 2
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:I did a search of the Vindolanda tablets and found this:

Does the tablet say anything about how many men this amount of salt was bought for? It could possibly have been an amount for an entire century - or an amount for a specific purpose, such as salting down meat for the winter stores? Even so, it does seem a trivial price for such an important dietary commodity - it's not even a full denarius. This amount of salt might also be a year supply.

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Salt in Roman Times TraderTrey9785 2 1,633 05-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Carlton Bach