Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome: Total War II
Quote:Sega and The Creative Assembly have announced a sequel to Rome: Total War, under development for PC at the developer's studio near London and set for a 2013 release.

This marks another return to the series' origins after last year's sequel to Shogun: Total War - the original Rome: Total War was released about eight years ago. Creative Director Mike Simpson claims that the studio is pushing the Total War vision to breaking point: "From the immense reach of the sandbox campaign right down to the human-level drama of a single warrior on the battlefield, we’re aiming for an unprecedented level of detail and scale”.

[Image: 20k837c.jpg]
[Image: 2a77qkp.jpg]

Quote:Shogun 2 was set in narrow geographical areas, with limited sets of units - a comparatively small scale to what's being intended with Rome II. It was designed with a focus on game systems, such as engine polishing and improvements to unit pathing.
With that in place, Rome II is going big - it's bigger than Rome 1 in geographical scale.
The game's key design vision is in taking players from a macro to micro scale, such as jumping from a campaign map to a single unit.
Despite that focus, Rome II is still attempting to make its macro scale bigger - we're guessing the senate will play a large part of that, but Creative Assembly won't say just yet.
As you rise through the ranks, your success will attract less-than-favourable responses from some of your friends. You will almost definitely get betrayed. There's "more human-level drama on the campaign map" in Rome II.
The bigger campaign map has "hundreds" of regions to move your units around, but the game buckets them into provinces to make management easier. The idea is to have you thinking about armies and legions rather than fiddling around with individual units.
Ultimately, the game will allow you to decide whether to favour the republic or become Rome's dictator.
The game's cameras have been redesigned. You can now lock the camera to single units. In this mode it functions like a sort of documentary cam, shaking while the unit walks – it's "a soldier's eye view" according to Creative Assembly.
The demonstration takes place with a scenario set during the Third Punic War, which took place during 149BC to 146BC. The scenario here is the Siege of Carthage.
Rome II: Total War features a new graphics engine, which features particle and deferred lighting.
The game can now combine naval and land battles into the same conflict, including naval invasions: in this demo a Roman ship lands on the coast of Carthage.
Naval units now have more than one ship per unit.
Though expected, we see catapults and ballistae being put to good use.
The demo has a big focus on Roman siege towers, and the snap-to unit camera takes the view of the game inside the siege tower itself.
Conflicts take place over much bigger environments - much of Carthage has been recreated in the demo. To accommodate this extra scale, the game now features a top-down tactical map.
There are multiple ways to capture cities. Walls can be reduced to rubble after they've sustained enough damage, for instance. It's designed to create cat-and-mouse gameplay: "You're not just sitting in the plaza once the walls are breached trying to defend that one area"
There's a real oomph when units engage, with walls of shields colliding.
The new graphics engine can show some impressive fidelity for a game of this scale. We can clearly see that Cathage's walls have graffiti.
Buildings crumble in the background as Carthage deploys its war elephants and the demo ends.
The unit camera has been designed so the game feels like it's "almost Saving Private Ryan at the beaches".
Each unit has its own facial animations, and leaders bark out a stream of orders throughout. each confrontation.
Units react to things, such as their colleagues being slaughtered - the idea is that these aren't idenikit clone armies anymore.
Some previews:
Eurogamer
IGN
Videogamer
Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Live Action Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKglskMfyWA
André
And there was much rejoicing in the kingdom!!
Take what you want, and pay for it

-Spanish proverb
Wow, sounds great!!
Guess I'd better start saving for a Super-computer!

EDIT: arghhhhh, bloody trooper helm! :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
That is SO brilliant. I did not expect this for a few more years..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Sigh. And to think. I used to think Age of Kings was as far as it could go.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Great news.
he stupid thing? In both screenshots that's supposed to be Rome when Rome was 12 miles fromt he coast xD. I can't wait to criticize all the innacuracies of this game with all the guys in the Late Roman Forums.

Also, Age of Empires II was like the best RTS ever.

Also, Robin's minstrels were indeed delicious.

Also, I can't mulitquote.
It's Carthage, not Rome in the screenshots. According to previews journalists were shown the Siege of Carthage.
Jack
Carthage and the ships in high resolution: Confusedhock:
http://www.gamersglobal.de/sites/gamersg...rthago.jpg
--- Marcus F. ---
Quote:Carthage and the ships in high resolution: Confusedhock:
http://www.gamersglobal.de/sites/gamersg...rthago.jpg
Wow. Thanks.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Man! That's going to suck up a whooole lot of RAM.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Man! That's going to suck up a whooole lot of RAM.

As Mark Anthony was heard to remark at Actium.....
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
So far I see a lot wrong with it.

I think that untill its out I will keep enjoying Rome total Realism.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:As Mark Anthony was heard to remark at Actium.....
Busted out laughing. Good one!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
The only thing wrong withit is the film clips with the trooper helms...
Will have to wait and see how it is before starting to criticise.....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Players needed Rome Total War Warrior of Italia 7 3,189 11-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Stug50
  Rome 2 Total Realism 3 released JaM 2 5,867 12-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Timus
  Rome Total Realism Is Back! ahowl11 16 10,282 09-25-2016, 02:26 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs