Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoplite gathering
A man after my own heart Paul.
I would like to test if the agressive charge could penetrate shields at the shock of impact.
I think we can do that, only if a sponsor gives us enough shields so that we can emplace them and charge with real weapons against them.
Pehaps we can film it and sell the thing to be used as montage in the film industry!
We can try the skythian bows pentration too!
Well a man at least can dream.
Kind regards
Stefanos
Nice thought! Finding sponsors is always tough, but programmes about ancient fighting styles and armies are very popular on British TV, lately. (I've just taken part in one, yesterday). If we could find a film company interested in looking at the Persian Wars in this way, they might want to fund the research and, if Ashok ever gets those shields made, we might get a job-lot from him for reasonable money. I'd like to try mounting them on one of those contraptions rugby forwards practice pushing; because thay can be forced backwards, reducing somewhat the impact of the points, it would be more realistic than using a fixed target.
I agree. Since you got the experience I will follow you sugestions.
Have you checked the Greek Avatars, by the way?
My artist friend who made them also made a pictorial reconstruction oF the Spartan counter attack in Platea.
I discovered in newpaper article that Thespiae had dog breeding kennels.
I made a pictorial image of a Thespian shield based on that.
I have both images in jpeg format. If you want them tell me to which email address to sent them.
Kind regards
Hi, Stefanos,

I'd be most grateful if you could send me the images you mention. The address is <[email protected]>. I don't know how to find the Greek Avatars. I'll have a look around, now.
Hi Paul.
I hope you enjoyed what I sent.
Go to profile, press show gallery button.
When the page loads hit the button on the drop-down menu on the top and choose Greculi.
I hope I helped.
Stefanos
Quote:Hi Paul.
I hope you enjoyed what I sent.
Go to profile, press show gallery button.
When the page loads hit the button on the drop-down menu on the top and choose Greculi.
I hope I helped.
Stefanos

You certainly did! Thanks a lot.

Further to your earlier query about weapons, there's no reason to let a good Romphaia hilt go to waste; do, by all means, add a metal blade for display or combat purposes. I have a blunt kopis made by my friend and part-time Scythian, Matthew, which I have just hilted in wood. I aim to replace the lower guard and bird's head finial in brass, soon.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,802 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite