Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethereal, The Legionaries Who Slew Nightmares.
My dream is to be a published author, I write many short stories but rarely finish, here is the most reason one, a group of legionaries enter "The Ethereal" an endless spectral forest filled with demons who want nothing less then there mortal flesh, the story is of there struggle to return home, battling many nightmarish beings, as well as their very sanity. Please tell me what you think of the small amount I have so far.

"Alexander! though my beaten eyes never have deceived me, I spot an ominous figure approaching!"
Alexander looked not towards the figure, for busily he buried his blade into the flesh of the Germanic brute whom he dueled. When the Barbarian laid still and cold upon the forest floor, Alexander finally looked to were his deacanus had indicated. A mammoth of a being slunk to the men. The creature look not of any man nor beast any of them had before sighted. The creature halted, the legionaries stood still in awe at the being, it startled them as two glowing red lights like the very flames of hell itself became eliminated upon the mass. Suddenly it let out the sound of ten thousand children being slaughtered and deafened our ears. The soldiers all collapsed, all senses rendered useless other than the taste of blood filling their mouths. All the warriors could see was a vale of pure white, as it faded away, there senses slowly returned to them, they heard the sound of a raven's ominous caw as the wind blew through trees, they felt the moist grass against there faces as well as the unusually cold sting of the air; finally, as they began to open their eyes, they saw the massive expanse of forest before them, the colors all darkened, trees almost black, as well as a sky a dark and frightening purple. The men knew not where they where, one thing, though try as they might to deny it, was true:
They were no longer in any area of Rome, or of the very planet itself.
There are a number of mistakes in this text, are you a native speaker?
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
Embarrassingly, I am native and actually speak English quite well. I've been "off my game" so to speak lately when it comes to grammar.

"Today had (Now friends, if you would be most kind and generous as to take into account that I say “had” not was, I find you will be most gracious to remember this small detail for future events) started like any other day this month, however this month as well as the previous two was not like the others that preceded them."

This is from another story I wrote, to prove my grasp of the English language.
I can only suggest that you post your work in a creative writing forum where you will be able to get tips on how to improve your grammar and narrative structure. It will help you develop among a supportive environment and also allow you read work by others who might be writing in a similar genre. There are many writing forums and sites and I am sure a quick Google search will allow you to pick one suitable for your needs! Good luck in your writing!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Assuming you are only 15 years old as your profile suggests, you have all the time in the world to improve your writing skills. My advice to you would be to read, read, read and then read some more... You are obviously not ready yet to produce a story unassisted but if you really are in a hurry, you could try asking people, in whose writing skills you really trust, to read your story/chapters/paragraphs and suggest changes, find mistakes, unclear points, stylistic problems etc. Actually, this is how it (most often) works for published authors too, so there is no shame in it.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
My advice is to write for yourself to begin with. And read books, lots of them! I don't read enough fiction, and when I do it is almost exclusively Science fiction ...
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
I can't second enough the suggestion to read as much as possible. I would only add the importance of reading quality works! Maxim magazine doesn't cut it. Don't skimp on the classics; you'd be suprised at how relevant they still are.

At fifteen years of age, my recommendation would be a sci-fi author by the name of Robert Heinlein. His writing style is eloquent, direct, and witty. Many of his books are written for young men, tending to emphasize individualism and intelligence.

Best of luck in your endeavors!!!
Take what you want, and pay for it

-Spanish proverb
Thank you all for your criticism. Despite my grammatical embarrassment, I truly do appreciate your comments. Also Mathew, while I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of science fiction, I shall check out Robert Heinlein.
Rest assured, Cody. R.H.'s work isn't the generic ray-guns and spaceships drivel that people associate with sci-fi. If anything, he uses the genre as a way to present social commentary and philosophical musings. His work challenges the reader to examine social norms and conventional values. The usual "sci-fi" elements of his work typically take a back seat to ideas and characters.
Take what you want, and pay for it

-Spanish proverb