Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Show your Roman artwork
I've only learned about that 1/7 thing,but I'm not expert on Polykleitos :unsure:
Hello Evan

Not sure where you get those sizes from, In one book I have it gives 1.8 for super-heroes.

I make out that in Carlo's Republican figures the ratio is about 1:6 and yet you pointed out twice that the legs looked short.

Another tip. If you base your work on photographs never stand upright and aim the camera at the persons face. That will distort the legs so they look short. You should crouch and be level with the persons waist and aim the camera at that. Do not stand too close either.

However real people do not confirm to these rules as you can see in the attached painting of mine showing the WWI aces Max Immelmann and Max Mulzer based on their photographs.

Carlo, I hope this helps.

Graham.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Hello Evan

Not sure where you get those sizes from, In one book I have it gives 1.8 for super-heroes.

I make out that in Carlo's Republican figures the ratio is about 1:6 and yet you pointed out twice that the legs looked short.

Another tip. If you base your work on photographs never stand upright and aim the camera at the persons face. That will distort the legs so they look short. You should crouch and be level with the persons waist and aim the camera at that. Do not stand too close either.

However real people do not confirm to these rules as you can see in the attached painting of mine showing the WWI aces Max Immelmann and Max Mulzer based on their photographs.

Carlo, I hope this helps.

Graham.

Cool! That explains why you see the photographers crouching in the celebrity commercials.

Thanks for the tips on Ratios. I always try to go for 1:6, because it seems most natural to me.
The shorter the ratio, the more you have kids (or dwarves).

It's not only an issue of the head / rest of the body, but also the legs vs arms or body weight.
Diocle, in your last pic, I could point some wrong proportions. But it's mainly an issue of the torso, way too large.

One picture is best than 1000 words :

[Image: example-body.jpg]

You can also see here that the knees are to low in his legs.
[Image: inaciem-bandeau.png]
I think it's a shop, seen a few shops in my day. Tongue

I make my torsos a little thick, but that's because I like to give the appearance of loose, baggy Armor or Clothing; that's why I usually draw chainmail or just tunics.
Master Sumner??????.. Confusedhock: .'Maaastro' Sumner commenting one of my silly wooooorks??? Confusedhock:
No words! :woot:

Only Thank you, really thank you! to one of my preferred artists, Thank you for your suggestions and thank you for your wonderful work, 'Mastro' Sumner!!!!! Confusedmile:

(Mastro: Italian for Master. Michelangelo was 'Mastro' Buonarroti, Raffaello was 'Mastro' Raffaello, Botticelli was 'Mastro Filippepi,...so Graham Sumner is 'Mastro' Sumenr. of course!)

Now sorry guys, my drawings wern't proportioned, I know, I know,...but I'm only an Architect (my mom was an artist, I'm not!) and these drawings were done during the pause for lunch in pub here in Genoa, so working while peolpe is talking of football and women and cars and drinking and eating.....
well it's not easy! :grin:

Thanks you all dear guys, for your suggestions! They are a precious gifts for me! I'll try to put the correct proportins in my small warriors!

Thanks Jori, you are right!

The problem was that I wanted to show a wonderful Leather Musculata, that is absolutely better than mail of course! (sorry Boss, but this is my convinction!), I'm colouring the drawing and the sad news are that the boiled leather is driving me mad!

The subarmalis with pteruges is a wonderful padded white linen (sorry Boss, but I like it so much with the Leather Musculata! Muahaahahahahahah!), also the helmet has been corrected Boss!
The tunic is red and the...nothing you'll see the guy when he will be done! it's better, my English is painful!!

Thank you ALL guys! Thank you, thank you, thank you and again, thank you!!!
Quote:I'm colouring the drawing and the sad news are that the boiled leather is driving me mad!
They knew how to dye leather various colors, and hardened leather can even be painted. So, does that help?

Se state impazzendo, non ci vorrà molto per arrivarci, eh?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hope to see the finished piece soon! Your skills are certainly better than mine Diocle, I can't draw detail and features the way you can. I stick to a more simplistic form although I am certainly trying to improve. Any tips for shading?
Thank you Carlo.

Now I have to get back to work to earn such praise! :oops:

these drawings were done during the pause for lunch in pub here in Genoa, so working while peolpe is talking of football and women and cars and drinking and eating.....
well it's not easy!

Sounds like hell! Big Grin

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
This reminds me of the works of late Angus McBride and what happened to his style of depicting human beings. I think his work is great, but somewhere along the line his humans started to look like those Gimli-like fantasy creatures with shortened limbs and bulbous eyes. What on middle-earth happened to him, can anyone tell!?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
@ Virilis, I had the same impression, but the work of Angus is .... I've no words to describe what the work of Angus represented for me, too great.

@ Mastro Sumner it is a true hell, but it is worsened by the fact I stopped smoking from a week! So what could I do? Drawing! Confusedmile: It's the only way to escape the temptations....!

Thanks guys I cannot color now, but I can make my drawings....Muahahahhah!

Tertia Diocletiana Thebaeorum:

Padded Leather subarmalis, worn over a padded linen subarmalis with neck protection, (yes Robert Dominus, mail is better, but at least, this guy will not die for the cold! Cool ).

It's only a sketch so be merciful dear friends!

[Image: TertiaDiocletianaThebaeorumKT.jpg]
This soldier is proportionally better.So the one before is not your best drawing anymore Sad ...this one is Confusedmile:.
Tie the cheek pieces, and you're good to go! :!:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:It's only a sketch so be merciful dear friends!
Ahh, MUCH improved - why not a musculata?? :wink: Seriously, I think you have your mum's talent.
The only things I'd improve are on the helmet The neck plate is still too large (the Intercisas had quite small ones) and should lie flat on the neck. And the way you're seeing the head, I doubt whether the left cheekplate should be seen, as this seem attached too far forward now.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks Pavel! You are a friend! Confusedmile: ...and Thanks Demetrius, I give him the signal to move! Cool

Sir Robert, you are absolutely right! Thanks, I didn't noticed the detail, your suggestions are very good, so I did some corrections, sadly not all could be changed but at least I wiped out the left cheekplate and I tried to correct also the neck plate...

[Image: IIIDiocletianacorrected.jpg]

Here a new one:

A man from a Choors Equitata at the time of Severus, his unit is part of a personal dream about a story I wanted to write on TWC, and that I'll never write, (it was a very dark and Bloddied story, starting in the Agri Decumati at the time of Marcus Aurelius...and finishing in the German forests at the time of Severus; it was like a Roman version of Heart of Drakness) so this man is an old friend for me, and he has seen things ..... that you cannot imagine! :errr:

Hope you like it! ;-)

[Image: ChoorsLetAEqKT.jpg]