Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Show your Roman artwork
Hey Carlo-what about some new artwork from you?Or are you already retired Big Grin ?
Quote:Hey Carlo-what about some new artwork from you?Or are you already retired Big Grin ?

I started drawing when I was five years old (but probably earlier!) watching my mom drawing and from then I never ceased drawing ...

I'll retire when Janus Pater will bring me to Hades ... but then, .... also there, ... maybe, .... if I find a pencil .... 8+)
you can always use dirt and a twig
Quote:you can always use dirt and a twig

I couldn't agree more, Evan! I used also coffee and tea for painting (the tea is simply fantastic!) ... but also slate (here in Liguria the hills are made of slate...), coal, bleach (used on surfaces painted with ink), carkadè, cherry juice, chalk, and much more .. so probably, as you said, also there I'll find something useful! Confusedilly:
Drawing a second Battle of Chalons pic, hope to have it down in a few weeks. It will be much better than the other one.
Pavel,
Your work is fantastic !!!!
Hope you will do some more cataphracts and Late Roman Auxiliaries( Huns, Celts,...) in the future. Certainly mounted soldiers.
Keep up the good work.

Etruschi
Philip van Geystelen
I suppose carlo is very much like myself where I began my art work when I was about 4 years old way back in 1938.
These pictures are not exactly Roman but are crayon sketches I did back in 1962 Pauline is my daughter and this was done when she was about 5 years old, she is now of course 57.
Then in more recent times my art work took a different direction where it is indeed Roman where I now create replicas of Roman silver and gold dishes, the small one was found at Berthouville in France and the original is in the Louvre.
The larger dish is my replica of the Lauersfort dish and is the only one of it in the world.
[attachment=8457]niamala.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8458]pauline.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8459]berth1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8460]Ldish2.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Charming drawings, it radiates such a warming soulfulness from it and the dishes is of course professional work as well.
[attachment=8496]Hiberi.jpg[/attachment]

A Member of the Auxilia Palatina unit the Hiberi, in the Army of Belisarius ca. 535 AD. He wears Lamellar armor, has a sort of standard spatha (went for the Feltwell in look) and wears a Spangenhelm with a plume. He carries his Plumbatae in a quiver rather than clipped to his shield.

This piece was created for the International Cheetah Day Challenge on Deviantart.

Help raise awareness for the Cheetah with the Cheetah Conservation Fund.

This is what I like the most Smile

Plumbatae quiver at his side and nice shield with Cheetah.Shild design is definitely in the usual style of the period but I guess soldier's unit is your creation or does it existed?
Notitia Dignitatum under the Magister Militum Praesentalis I, the Hiberi did exist.

The oldest one (and the one believed to most closely resemble the original Notitia) depicts a big cat that appears to have faint spots and is shaped like a cheetah.

The others depict a Lion that is very stylized in a medieval context, and most Europeans wouldn't even know what a Cheetah was until the colonization of India. We know that the Medeival monks replaced words like "Pardus" and "Iubatus" (Leopard and Cheetah respectively) with "Leo" (Lion) and its likely they did this with Imagery as well.
Hello guys,
Here is small contribution to the topic;
It is one of the few commisioned drawings for an exhibition about Japodi (Yapides) organised by Archaeological museum from Zagreb. It depicts Octavian’s siege of Metulum ( Japod "capital"). Have to admit - I enjoyed working for this project, especially having an expert’s guidance and advise in the process. Unfortunatelly there was not enough time to do this one completely as I intended to, but anyway - the result is here, and I hope Youll like it.
Best
Simon

[attachment=8516]Metulum_FINAL_Web_Preview.jpg[/attachment]

But,... :o but, .... it .... it is woooooooooooooooooonderful! :woot:

Compliments!!!!!
I agree - stunning work!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Quote: Unfortunatelly there was not enough time to do this one completely as I intended to, but anyway - the result is here, and I hope Youll like it.

Seems quite complete to me.What to say more?Professional work worthy of every possible publication.