Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Show your Roman artwork
Working on a new one, but I won't be revealing it until December 4th, International Cheetah Day.
Ripenses

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's a wonderful drawing Pavel. I do like it very much. THanks for sharing.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Great work, Pavel! It gives me an idea for a short story I might write. As always your attention to detail and use of colour is very effective.
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Thanks Guys for positive reviews Smile
I like especially the composition of the painting.
Great work.
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Very good
Visit my Website at
[url:n6bls2l1]http://ilustro.webs.com/[/url]
Awesome Pavel! Love the Navis Lusoria Tongue
I join in to congratulate you on such a nice drawing, you captured the colors of the surroundings very well, and the soldiers illustration is even better. I guess you invented that shield design.

Cheers
Oh,thanks.Yes-this particular shield design is my artificial creation but based on the style of real shield blazons of the periode.
Quote:Oh,thanks.Yes-this particular shield design is my artificial creation but based on the style of real shield blazons of the periode.
Nice drawing! Just watch out with the purple. This was reserved for the Imperial family - Ammianus relates how a senator was executed for treason - merely because he used purple tablecloths!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I know Robert,don't be worried :-D -I am obsessed with purple and read really a lot about it and its meanings in antiquity.Technically this not real(imperial)Tyrian shade of purple but much cheaper shade.
Quote:I know Robert,don't be worried :-D -I am obsessed with purple and read really a lot about it and its meanings in antiquity.Technically this not real(imperial)Tyrian shade of purple but much cheaper shade.
And you are sure that this 'cheaper' purple was allowed? The was a time where I, too, had a tunic of such a clour.. :whistle:

[Image: vechten2004robert.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Aetius probably wore purple, and there was nothing the Emperor could do about that.
Quote:Aetius probably wore purple, and there was nothing the Emperor could do about that.
Now we know why Valentinian stabbed him to death - it was a fashion kill!

But seriously, is that from a source?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans