Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Show your Roman artwork
Thnaks guys!

@Pavel very happy to see you liked it! Confusedmile:

@Magister I'll try to make a Magister with scale armor in a more 'operational situation... ;-)

@Gesith you are right but the faces under those Niederstotzingen helmets are not an easy task!

Good news MMFA!
[Image: l2prYxJ.jpg]

The Hun wears a Pileus Pannonicus, and a Lamellar Cuirass. The Roman wears a Burgh-Castle Helmet and a Chianmail Hauberk.

Next: Flavius Aetius leads the Charge! Mons Clubrarius, 439. Followed by a portrait of Aetius and his sons, Thraustila, Carpilio and Gaudentius.
Quote:the Magister Militum Flavius Aetius, with his Hunnic bucellarii:
A beautiful piece, let me say that first!

However, to be frank it looks more like a Byzantine emperor witha Gepid or Lombard bodyguard.
If I was expecting to see Aetius, I would expect guards dressed in the best the Roman army could offer, not what essentially a barbarian warlord would wear. The outfit of the guards is much more 6th century than mid-5th century.
The pilleus could be a bit higher I think. The baldric seems 3rd century - you can do that for early 4th c., not for the mid-5th I think.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hi Evan,

Quote:The Hun wears a Pileus Pannonicus, and a Lamellar Cuirass. The Roman wears a Burgh-Castle Helmet and a Chianmail Hauberk.
Both look good, although the pteryges of the hun should be shorter I think.
Also, the sword seems to hang a bit low? I'm not sure, but usually the baldric seems to hang down to the waist, not the hip?
And lastly, I'm not sure that cloacks, when doubled to the back, fold that way so you can still see the decoration?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I did it as if there was decorations on both sides of the cloak, so you could wear it either way.

I tried to make him seem like a Romanized Hun, and as for the sword I was making him look like he was pulling his belt up (look at the positioning of the left hand).

Aetius probably had both Roman and Hunnic Guards, but I tried to show this guy as off-duty.
Quote:
Diocle post=335293 Wrote:the Magister Militum Flavius Aetius, with his Hunnic bucellarii:
A beautiful piece, let me say that first!

However, to be frank it looks more like a Byzantine emperor witha Gepid or Lombard bodyguard.
If I was expecting to see Aetius, I would expect guards dressed in the best the Roman army could offer, not what essentially a barbarian warlord would wear. The outfit of the guards is much more 6th century than mid-5th century.
The pilleus could be a bit higher I think. The baldric seems 3rd century - you can do that for early 4th c., not for the mid-5th I think.

Thanks Robert!

... Dammit! He discovered my secret Langobard plot!...... :evil:

@MMFA I like the camp athmosphere....
I wish I have more time for doing this or be as quick artist as Carlo/Diocle seems to be.But for now I can only presented my version of the second day of the battle of Frygium-the moment when Persians boldly renewed their major attack after being informed of Julian's death and proclamation of Jovian-the person who was rumored to be a coward.

And my study of Gallic wars helmet.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote: I usually depict Aetius as wearing Scale though, as he does in my Avatar.

Hello Evan. Smile
I'm just curious-is your avatar an actual contemporary depiction of Aetius?If so,I didn't know that some pictorial evidence of him survived.
Quote:Hello Evan. Smile
I'm just curious-is your avatar an actual contemporary depiction of Aetius?If so,I didn't know that some pictorial evidence of him survived.

First, I want to say awesome work! I love the elephants.

Secondly, the answer to that is both no and yes - there are 2 surviving BAS reliefs (one is a diptych) that are believed to be Aetius, but there are uncertainties of both.

One is an image of an old man of the consulate presiding over the Gladiatorial games, but its believed the depiction of a man too old to be Aetius prior to 454.

The Second is the depiction on the Stilicho Sarcophagus, which could be Aetius, if he was given an honorable burial by his surviving associates after the Roman Government Assassinated him and his supporters. However this is also doubtful, as its mostly speculation. I do indeed believe Aetius is buried in the Sarcophagus.
Really fantastic work Pavel! The elephants are awesome! An horse is difficult but an elephant is a nightmare! Great work!

Here my last work, it's nothing less tahn Chalons, or at least how my mind imagines Aetius and his last Romans holding the hill (Ok! sorry the ridge!)....I find Chalons one of the saddest and fascinating days in the Roman military history, the last Roman Army won the last battle! Now those men are forgotten, we don't know even where is exactly the battlefield of Catalaunian Fields, but I like to imagine them standing still on the crest of the ridge, holding their ground, while the Draco and the last Western Roman Labarum are waving in the wind, I imagine old veterans with Gallic faces, ready to die for Rome and for their country, yes because Chalons is IMO the last Roman Victory and the first French, because Chalons is at the same time the last chapter of the ancient world and the first battle of the Middle Age....but I'm an old dreamer so forgive me, I hope you like this strange work, I had to put the scale armor on Aetius, mainly for Magister! Cool

[Image: ChalonsbyKT.jpg]
Quote:my version of the second day of the battle of Frygium.
Pavel, that is a great piece of art!! I Like it! I almost want to cry at the soldier to throw that &^^& plumbata at the elephant! Big Grin

Maybe one thing - the draco could be a bit larger, and with open jaws (to let the air into the tail).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hi Carlo,

Stunning work! Although this has a bit of a 'last stand' feel about it (you could call it 'Adrianople').
My only suggested adjustment would be the spearhead above the draco: the one we have has no hole in the skull, so we can be sure that there was no spear 'through the head'! Wink

Interesting helemt on that moustached guy on the left!

Quote:Chalons is IMO the last Roman Victory and the first French, because Chalons is at the same time the last chapter of the ancient world and the first battle of the Middle Age....
Is it? It's a major battle, that's for sure, and to be frank (no pun) I'm not sure how the 'Roman' forces actually looked, would be recognise them at all? How many Franks, how many Gallo-Romans? Two-thirds of the army were Goths (well, the Gothic army, we know Romans also fought in their ranks) as well as Alans.
I would not call this 'French', too many non-Franks present.. Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Roughly 20000 Goths were present with portions of the Gallic and Praesental Field Armies, the in which the gallic and praesental armies were heavily manned by Franks and Alans, not to mention the fact that both the Franks and Alans brought their own forces. The Roman portions of the field armies were probably manned by Armoricans and Liticians, plus maybe some Italians or Romans from the vicinity of modern Provence and Auvergne. There were also Burgundians and Frisians.

The Army was about 2/3 barbarian with a Roman contingient. The first french victory I'd say would be the French conquest of the Alamanni, and then their victory at Soissons in 486 and 487.

Chalons was the last battle the Roman Army fought and won, not counting the later civil wars between ricimer and various emperors where the Remnants of the Roman Army fought each other, like Avitus vs. Ricimer and Majoran in 457.

The Western Navy managed to defeat the vandals off the coast of Corsica in 458.

The main criticism I have Diocle is that the battle didn't get to that "last stand" point really, except in the center where the majority of the fighting took place. The Roman Line was rather unaffected by the battle, as the Gepids were the weakest portion of Attila's army. The Romans (and the Franks, who were manning the Border Garrisons with their own men, and were part of the Roman Army by default) helped play the pivotal role int he battle - close in on Attila's flanks when the center collapsed - but all in all I would moreso expect to see Sambida and Thorismund in that sort of a position than Aetius.
Maybe one thing - the draco could be a bit larger, and with open jaws (to let the air into the tail).

Thanks for comment Robert.Of course you are right.I knew about it-somehow I didnt realize it at all while doing on final contours,and when I finally realized it,I've consider it too risky trying to change it.But who knows, maybe such a smaller ones existed as well.And those jaws-this practical detail escaped me completely :o Big Grin .I'll remember that next time.
Evan:Thanks for eplanation.I Have no doubt that there must had been plenty of pictorial representation of Aetius in his own times,now sadly lost.

Carlo:It's beautiful.And once again,I think it could be even more striking when properly colored.