Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Show your Roman artwork
Those are much better Carlo.
Looking forward to seeing the progression!
You have no better mentor than Graham!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Carlo, you're late Romans are some of the most interesting....and intriguing I've seen. Your depictions actually make me interested in how these men fought, and how they were kitted out. Awesome illustrations!!

May I make a humble request if you find the time and need subjects to bring to life? Perhaps one of the legendary General-statesmen of the late Republic? Even a Populares such as Marius or Caesar is acceptable...although Sulla Felix is eminently more desirable :wink:
Alexander
Hello Carlo

I really like the new work. One reminded me of something I painted.

So attached is something I did more years ago than I care to remember. It was meant to show an Antonine period legionary and like you I tried to capture the famous thousand yard stare of a soldier who had seen and possibly done terrible things.

It was never published at the time and I only now have a photocopy which is too shiny to photograph and a bit big for my scanner so the image is slightly blurry and missing the end of the pilum.

Graham.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Nice illustration Graham....well done.
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
I'll be starting a new drawing soon, any requests?
Quote:I'll be starting a new drawing soon, any requests?

A member of the Scholae Clibanarii Palatinae, perhaps?
How about Julians tragic death in Persia....
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Quote:Hello Carlo

It was meant to show an Antonine period legionary and like you I tried to capture the famous thousand yard stare of a soldier who had seen and possibly done terrible things.

It was never published at the time and I only now have a photocopy which is too shiny to photograph and a bit big for my scanner so the image is slightly blurry and missing the end of the pilum.

Graham.

Ou,it's so beautiful.And I also love how you evidently use only archaeological findings and art from Antonine period.
Quote:I'll be starting a new drawing soon, any requests?

Battle of Argentoratum-my favorite Late roman battle!
Hmm maybe, Argentoratum or Julian's campaign could be fun.

@Gesith
I can't draw horses yet, sorry.
Quote:Hmm maybe, Argentoratum or Julian's campaign could be fun.

@Gesith
I can't draw horses yet, sorry.

I think so Smile
And I agree:horses are nightmare!
I already have an Idea for Julian's campaign, but not Argentoratum yet.
Very good Carlo!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Hello Carlo

I really like the new work. One reminded me of something I painted.

So attached is something I did more years ago than I care to remember. It was meant to show an Antonine period legionary and like you I tried to capture the famous thousand yard stare of a soldier who had seen and possibly done terrible things.

Graham.

Great work!
You are a great painter Mastro Graham! But not only this, in your works, behind the faces and the postures, I can read a story,...as any good artist, your images are like books, while you are watching you start imagining the story of the character....the good paintings are like novels (but better of course!) we can read them entering in their world.
Thank you very much Mastro Graham, for the fantastic illustration and for your words about my works!

- Thank you all, dear friends for your nice comments, about my drawings! Confusedmile: I'm very happy you like them.

@ Robert, your suggestions are precious, and your comments are genrous with me!

@Magister: Hunnic Bucellarii of Aetius...a little Romanized but not too much, with bow, lamellar armors (also mail might be good!), a long 'contus', some kind of strange helemet (Roman? Germanic? Spanghenhelm? or something more 'Hunnic'?), leather or fabric covers for the legs, and a good and cruel Hunnic honest face! ;-)
Hmm... well right now I'm considering Diocle's request and Gallienus' (on another forum) and putting them together into one image.