Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Source for 6mm ID Flat rings?
Looking for a good source for solid flat washers with a similar aspect ratio to 16 ga round wire. With all the maille coming out of India these days one would think these things would be plentiful.
Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
ybe this????
http://www.battlemerchant.com/Kettenzeug...:2141.html
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Thanks, I am planning to make my own riveted ones from scratch, but this is an option.

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
Hi all
After seeing this thread it got the grey matter working, then the grey matter failed me:
How big an area does 1kg...thats 2.2lbs UK...cover? How many kg are needed for a chest size of 38 inches for example, how many rings is that?
It would be devastating if one ran out of rings on the last line for example.
My own came from Alhamd and wieghs 9kg to fit a chest of me at 36 but the Hamata is 42 and its tight.
Maybee a "PROPER" size chart could be made up for mail shirts both off the shelf and DIY...it would help.
Kevin
Kevin
Quote:Hi all
After seeing this thread it got the grey matter working, then the grey matter failed me:
How big an area does 1kg...thats 2.2lbs UK...cover? How many kg are needed for a chest size of 38 inches for example, how many rings is that?
It would be devastating if one ran out of rings on the last line for example.
My own came from Alhamd and wieghs 9kg to fit a chest of me at 36 but the Hamata is 42 and its tight.
Maybee a "PROPER" size chart could be made up for mail shirts both off the shelf and DIY...it would help.
Kevin

The Ring Lord has a calculator set up for number of rings per shirt depending on body size and ring size/aspect ratio, from there you can find out mass.

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
The battle merchant says a 20cm by 20cm section of their 6mm shirt weighs approximately .25kg, so using area of a cylinder as rough estimate:

My chest is 48", add 2" for subarmalis, from top of shoulder to hip is 30"

50*2.54*π*30*2.54 = 11,969 cm^2 divided by 400 = 30 20 cm x 20 sections = 7.5kg

Add another 8 sections for the doubler and I'm looking at about 9.5kg.

Almost as much as they charge for a custom built hamata in my size.

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
Seastrom is the cheapest I've found. Even with freight to Australia they are still cheaper than local manufacturers.
www.seastromwashers.com
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books