Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horseshoes
When were horseshoes invented? I had never really occupied myself with this question until I saw that in the Iliad (8.41, 13.21) horses were called "bronze-legged" (or bronze-hoofed), which, to me, sounds as direct evidence that some kind of horseshoes were used at least at the time of Homer if not long before that. A very unthorough and quick googling up brought up nothing about horseshoes that far into the past. Any ideas?
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
Proper metal horseshoes nailed to the hoof? I thought around 1000AD. Other hoof protection may have been used earlier such as rawhide shoes.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Does 8: 41 necessarily mean the horses were shod? My translation (Edward Earl of Derby 1868) says:

"...and straight the brazen footed steeds,
of swiftest flight, with manes of flowing gold..."

We know horses don't literally have golden manes so is it not more a stylistic description of the animals rather than a literal meaning of shod with bronze?

13:27 (ish) is a repetition of the same descriptive formula, but again I only have it in translation and not the original Greek.

But if you want a VERY vague idea of the oldest horseshoes try this:

http://www.wcf.org.uk/history

of this

http://www.equisearch.com/horses_care/he...rsesho610/
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I have a very short 1894 monograph from the British Archaeological Assoc. by S Wells on "hippo-sandals". There are a number of sandal looking iron contraptions that have been found with a number of interpretations, one being that they were wrapped around the hoof. I have no other reference about them.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:Proper metal horseshoes nailed to the hoof? I thought around 1000AD. Other hoof protection may have been used earlier such as rawhide shoes.

Earliest nailed ones I know of from England are 9th century, becoming widespread in early 10th.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]