Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modifying Deepeeka Italic D AH6054
This is a nice looking helmet but then why the strange type of crest holder that looks very much like a modern idea and yet again no notching of the reinforce front edge.
The crest holder of the Italic D is a T shaped slot where the cross bar of the T is at the rear so that a holder is simply dropped in pushed forward then fasteners at the ends of the transverse crest are fixed to the two projections of the studs that hold the reinforce.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks Rob, I have been trying to figure how to justify a throatless shear like a Beverly for sometime but amp looking for cheaper alternatives.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
"In case anybody was wondering, the size is 8.5"x7.5" (21.6cm x 19.1) so slightly more oval than some of Deepeeka's other helms, I understand sometime ago Deepeeka started getting helm caps from a company that makes cooking pans, hence their more round dimensions."

So that was the reason!? I stopped to buy Deepeeka helmets because of this. The shape is totally unsuitable / too round for my head. It is a pity, they are otherwise great and affordable helmets Cry ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Sorry Jyrki, but I believe so. Thanks for the pictures Rado

Here are my initial planned changes:
[attachment=4624]ItalicDplanning.jpg[/attachment]

Please note, 4.5" it the total length of the neckguard, not only what I highlighted in yellow. Still I open further suggestions if anybody has them, with any luck I should be starting on this helmet in a week or two.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Matt.

I would like to make a couple of suggestions about alterations to your helmet.

First I would not be in so much of a hurry to shorten the neckguard for this helmet does indeed have a wide one, and the carrying handle on yours does not have the two discs under the supports of the handle these discs should be around at least one inch diameter therefore you will need the extra width to move your carrying handle down a bit more towards the edge and not to worry about the previous holes for they will be covered by the discs.

Then your earguards at the rear should not be cut right back the way you show for there should be at least 3/8ths of an inch remaining at the bottom edge of them, so I would say take away just half of what you have there already.

If you need to remove any of the neckguard take away 1/4 of an inch only or in my opinion you are going to wind up with a neckguard that will look ridiculous for this particular helmet.
Brian Stobbs
Brian, I admit my "3/4" cut off line is not to scale in my picture, but you still think this will be too much? The neckguard interference is not nearly as bad as I imagined, and not worth trimming to correct the issue (my OLD Gallic G's neckguard was so large it was unusable with armor, which was my initial concern).

Really if anything needs to be cut down, it is the brass decor on the neckguard, but that is beyond my skill. Do we know the exact dimensions of the original neckguard? How large did you make the neckguards on the helmets you created? They appear to be significantly smaller than the Deepeeka's, but this may be a trick of the camera.

Thank you for pointing out the earguards, I will take note when I cut them.

[attachment=4627]ItalicDback.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Matt.

If you go back a page on the topic to where Jay has shown the original against his Deepeeka N you will find how his helmet though very nice looks so much shorter in the neck area.
I don't have any measurements for the neckguard but if memory serves me I made all my copies at about 4 inch+ in fact those discs under the carry handle are around almost an inch so that should give some sort of scale that is why I said not to go overboard with the trimming of yours keep it at least about 4"
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka Imperial Italic D vs Gallic G Helmet Cheek Guard lenghts wwiigunz 0 1,141 09-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Last Post: wwiigunz
  Modifying an Old Deepeeka Coolus C kevair464 14 6,700 08-14-2016, 02:49 AM
Last Post: JoeSmoe69
  Modifying deepeeka itallic h helm MarcusNorwood 1 1,094 05-28-2013, 01:40 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius