Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Future reenacting mistakes.
Has anyone ever thought about the distant future of reenacting? What if people made mistakes on the same level as some reenactors and movies do today? We would be seeing the following in future portrayals of "us":

-American Civil War soldiers storming the beach at Normandy, holding M-16s.

-One really bad (to us) movie showing Wellington's regulars leading the charge into Iraq in 1990, only to be defeated by Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders, thus freeing the Mexican slaves. Said movie then wins 8 major awards.

-Endless chat board debates on whether or not American Embassy Marines wore their parade dress uniforms into battle, or if they did, in fact, have two sets of uniforms. Debate will then continue as to if their other uniforms resembled a regular Marine BDUs.

Finally, someone will write the definitive 20-21st century guide to period dress:
1) Start by making or buying a set of jeans. Blue is highly preferred. Material must be cotton.
2) Wear a "T"- style shirt. Also made out of cotton.
3) Those portraying someone at "work" will need a variant of trousers called "khakis". These may be white, tan, or even green. For best accuracy, a "polo" style shirt is best. Curiously, the shirt may be any solid color. An adornment called a "nametag" is optional.
Take what you want, and pay for it

-Spanish proverb
Question 1:

As a contractor mercenary of the second Persioan Gulf conflict Do I wear my blue polyester leisure suit under my kevlar?

Question 2:

Does the Denver version circa 1993 of Lorica segmentata football lace differently than the Green Bay version circa 1950?
Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
Pictoral evidence exists that the contractors from the 2nd Persian Gulf war may also wear khakis (debate continues as to why) and sleeveless shirts.

-Spanish proverb
Did all allied soldier wear the battledress and were armend with th m1 garand during th 2 ww of 1939 til 1945. or the lee enfield. And all the germans had a kar98 :wink:
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
I once wrote a short story about a Second Century cavalryman being transported in time and turning up at a Living History event. All the participants criticised him for not having the right kit because he laughed at theirs! :lol: (And this was years BEFORE Deva 2012!! Confusedhock: :mrgreen: )
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hmmm, i like to think we could tell the difference....Wink

Or the legions taking on the Luftwaffe.... :mrgreen:

[attachment=4357]63427_462701757131_37874_n.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I see that Harry Turtledove has his own school of reenactment!

-Spanish proverb
I LOVE that photograph Byron!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
We had a lot of fun that day! :grin:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I once wrote a short story about a Second Century cavalryman being transported in time and turning up at a Living History event. All the participants criticised him for not having the right kit because he laughed at theirs!

Went to a WW2 reenactment where there was a really old bloke (who looked vaguely familiar) in full kit with the Fallschirmjagers & thought isn't he a bit old for a portrayal of crack troops. Got chatting to him & he was in his 80s & had served in the unit he was reenacting. Having heard his jordy english I remembered I had seen him on TV.

Anyone brave enough to tell HIM his kit is wrong?????
Semisalis Abruna of the Batavi iuniores Britanniciani
aka Nick Marshall
I'm waiting for the day when my son or some future grandson goes to a Desert Storm reenactment event and has some know-it-all tell him that no soldiers in the First Infantry Division carried M231 Firing Port Weapons into battle as their sidearm.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Quote:I'm waiting for the day when my son or some future grandson goes to a Desert Storm reenactment event and has some know-it-all tell him that no soldiers in the First Infantry Division carried M231 Firing Port Weapons into battle as their sidearm.

Big Grin

Or pump action shotguns (for breaking up the packs of wild dogs that chased the dispatch riders).
Moi Watson

Quote:-American Civil War soldiers storming the beach at Normandy, holding M-16s.
Well, who's to say they didn't? We don't know exactly when the M-16 was introduced, but they were widely-used in the Vietnamese-American War of the 1970s and the Gulf Storm War a few decades after that. The basic kit of soldiers during the 18th-22nd centuries always included some kind of rifle, and we know automatic rifles were used as early as the First Great World War. Technology didn't change that rapidly. I see no reason that some of the Second Great World War troops wouldn't have carried an early variant of the M-16 type. And soldiers always pick up weapons from battlefields, so I could imagine that a few of the Germanic warriors also had M-16s.

Quote:-One really bad (to us) movie showing Wellington's regulars leading the charge into Iraq in 1990, only to be defeated by Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders, thus freeing the Mexican slaves. Said movie then wins 8 major awards.
Hey, we don't watch movies for their historical accuracy. I thought that having Gavrilo Princip assassinate Roosevelt at the end made sense from a storytelling perspective, since it illustrated the transition toward the Second Gulf Storm War.

Quote:-Endless chat board debates on whether or not American Embassy Marines wore their parade dress uniforms into battle, or if they did, in fact, have two sets of uniforms. Debate will then continue as to if their other uniforms resembled a regular Marine BDUs.
Oh, don't start that one again. American Embassy Marines were basically the same as Persian Immortals and would only have fought when the President-of-Presidents led an invasion personally. Of course they would've worn "parade" uniforms in battle.

Quote:3) Those portraying someone at "work" will need a variant of trousers called "khakis". These may be white, tan, or even green. For best accuracy, a "polo" style shirt is best. Curiously, the shirt may be any solid color. An adornment called a "nametag" is optional.
I've worn the Polo as well as the Buttondown-type tunics and I have to say the Buttondown-type is more comfortable in very hot weather because of its lighter material (world temperatures back then often reached 90 degrees Fahrenheit!). It can also be ripped open dramatically in the Super Man style... or so I've heard. It was normally worn with tight-fitting "bell-bottom" trousers and Western cowboots.

The wool plant, of course, was almost extinct by then, so I'm pretty sure cotton was the only material available, but there's some nut claiming that clothes in the latter half of the period were actually made out of a fibre called "polyester," which they somehow made out of that oil they used to mine out of the ground. I don't see how that's supposed to work, since oil is liquid at room temperature.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
Randi,
There were some reenactors doing Desert Storm several years back at Marching Thru Time - they were veterans, as you are, of that conflict. Someone had the nerve to criticize their kit and weapons. One of the men said that it all worked just fine while he was fighting the Iragis in 1991!

Sir Marshall of Eaglesbane (SCA name but a Major in the US 1st Cavalry Division at the time) regaled us with stories from his service in Desert Shield/Storm. He mentioned that he had confiscated a sawed-off shot gun from one of his men and was carrying it around in his vehicle when the tanks rolled into Iraq.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
When we mobilized the First Tactical Fighter Wing (F-15s) from Langley AFB, Virginia to "somewhere in the Gulf" in September 1990, you wouldn't believe the number and variety of weapons we confiscated from our own troops who didn't feel comfortable going into a war zone without their personnel means of self-defense. (You can understand why the leadership was nervous about everybody bringing their own gun to the fight.)

Since we were aircraft maintainers the logic went at that time, we didn't need to be armed. Even though the only thing between us an the Iraqi army at that time were the 101st Airborne Division and the Saudi National Guard. Must have been enough because Saddam never even tried to come south.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea