Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie pronunciation question
Hello everyone!

Until recently, I have been mentally pronouncing Spatha as Spay-thuh. I then read that it comes from a Greek term for any flat metallic tool object, at which point I began to wonder if the English word Spade comes from Spatha.

So, am I not supposed to sound out a "th" sound when saying this? Or is it more along the lines of Spahd-hah? And was I correct to guess at a Greek root for Spade?

Thanks for your patience.
Take what you want, and pay for it

-Spanish proverb
The 'th' is correct, but not the 'y'. It's more like 'spah-thah' or perhaps 'spah-tah'.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
σπάθα is pronounced spuh thuh stressed on the first uh. And keep both uhs really short like in "cut".
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
Spade does, indeed come from spatha.

In Spanish, for example, espada means sword, so there's a broader connection. I can't see anyone deliberately digging with a sword, but at the same time, spades have not always looked the way they do now, though they have always been different than shovels.

But to the original question: it's pronounced NOO' bee Tongue :roll: :wink:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thanks very much guys.

-Spanish proverb
Can I also impart one last prononciation piece of advice that I had insanely wrong for 3 years? The strands and material called pterigues are pronounce "terr-ree-gaes" not "pet-tridge-es" as I read it.
Damian Laurence Zamprogno
While I'm at it, let me ask about a few other words with which I'm less then 100% sure:

Pugio: I say pyew-jee-oh. Or is it poo-jee-oh?

Pilum: py-lum, or pee-lum? Heard it pronounced Pill-um once on a documentary.

Scutum: scoo-tum, or skyew-tum?

Again, I apologize for the noobness of my questions. It's just that for 15 years, I've only ever been reading these words. I also have zero chance to use them in conversation.

-Spanish proverb
Quote:Can I also impart one last prononciation piece of advice that I had insanely wrong for 3 years? The strands and material called pterigues are pronounce "terr-ree-gaes" not "pet-tridge-es" as I read it.

No.. it is pteruges (πτέρυγες) and it is pronounced pteri-yes (stress on the first "e", "-yes" like the word, just do not stress the consonants like Anglosaxons do). In classical times, it was supposedly pronounced more like pterue(ue like the german u umlaut) -yes. As a Greek this sounds "Greek" to me and it is pretty sure that at least since the late Hellenistic times the various i-volwels were being pronounced i (as in pit), what you barbarians (hehe 8) 8) ) call iotakismos, that is the Greek practice to have 5 different letters and dipthongs sound like "i" (iota)(ι, η, υ, οι, ει, we have a sixth υι, but it is pronounced like a double i (i-i), not a single one), which should not seem that strange to you... (pit, keep, leap, phoebe, lyrics, niece, be..., you actually have many more "ee" letters and dipthongs than the iotakizontes ancient Greeks). The υ sounding like u (put), ew (new) or sth like that may have lasted more, maybe into the early Byzatine years. Yet, I would stick with the i-sound, sounds more Greek... Yet, interestingly enough, another version of the word πτέρυγες is πτερούγες (pteru (ου=u like in put)-yes, stressed on the u) which means the exact same thing... "wings".
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
Sorry Macedon, I'm going off the few times I have heard it pronounced, To make sure I have it correct would it be "terr-ee-yis"?
Damian Laurence Zamprogno
Quote:Sorry Macedon, I'm going off the few times I have heard it pronounced, To make sure I have it correct would it be "terr-ee-yis"?

nope...

π = p
τ = t
ε = e (pet)
ρ = r
υ = i (pit) or earlier ue like the German u umlaut (iu)
γ = y (yes)
ε = e (pet)
ς = s

πτέρυγες / pteriyes the ' -sign (oxeia) is where you stress the word.

What you write (terr-ee-yis) would be written like "τέρυγις". Unfortunately, no such word exists...
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
403-Forbidden!

Sorry, but access to this area has been denied

EDIT: Getting this whilst trying to post. Odd.
Jass
Quote:403-Forbidden!

Sorry, but access to this area has been denied

EDIT: Getting this whilst trying to post. Odd.

I always "copy" my posts before posting. I do not remember what the codes of the errors I have encountered were but sometimes, if it has taken long, if someone has posted while writing etc, errors do occur.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
Quote:Pugio: I say pyew-jee-oh. Or is it poo-jee-oh?

Pilum: py-lum, or pee-lum? Heard it pronounced Pill-um once on a documentary.

Scutum: scoo-tum, or skyew-tum?

Most agree on this:
Pugio POO gee oh (hard G like Good)
Pilum PEE lum
Scutum SCOO tum

It seems the single vowels in Latin are pronounced pretty much like the vowels in Spanish or Italian. There are some dipthongs, though, and they are not the same. Simple solution is to get any of the paperback Latin dictionaries, and use their pronouncing guide. EZ? :wink:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Wait... wah-geeenah?
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Quote:Most agree on this:
Pugio POO gee oh (hard G like Good)
Pilum PEE lum
Scutum SCOO tum

All I know is that my Classics and O-level Latin teacher at school would've (literally) thrown his stick of chalk at me for that (it was the 70s in a grammar-turned-comprehensive, and dodging missiles in class for despoiling ancient languages in class was the norm) Wink Hard vowels and hard consonants was the rule of thumb.

Pugio: PUH-GHEE-YOH (pug, geese, yo-yo)
Pilum: PIH-LUM (pill, bum)
Scutum: SKUH-TTUM (cut, bum)

Or something like that, you get the idea. He did give a 5-pence piece for getting something difficult right, though: a kind of "Pavlov's dog" approach.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!