Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gourd canteen
In answer to your question, I don't see why vinegar or wine would be a problem, but I have never stored either in a waxed container. Both are water-based liquids, and paraffin repels water very well.

Please let us know your findings.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
No better method than to use direct observation. However, after testing is complete, I will want to use this canteen for water, so the wine will have to go somewhere. Hmmm, what a predicament.

Big Grin

So, I have completed the two sisal round weaves. I then created a warp for the walls by taking the long tag end I left on both of the round weaves and weaving it around the 15 warp posts on the round weaves about four cords down, to prevent loosening.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
I'm playing with the idea of a stem, but would 1. have to use a waterproof glue and 2. Find a hollow material or fab a wooden stem.

Wouldn't mind ideas on both that would be period and representative of local materials.

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
Stem?

Like a spout? I've seen those sometimes made from a stick of wood that fits tightly into the hole in the gourd. Brewer's pitch was used in one commercial gourd canteen I saw somewhere.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Stem?

Like a spout? I've seen those sometimes made from a stick of wood that fits tightly into the hole in the gourd. Brewer's pitch was used in one commercial gourd canteen I saw somewhere.

Yes, thanks. I decided against a spout. Finished the weave around the cylinder walls and then waxed the interior of the canteen. For a stopper or bung, I used a cork wrapped with sisal and then waxed with the canteen. To wax the canteen, heat the wax in a double boiler. I used an empty washed out tin can for green beans and put it in a sauce pan of boiling water. I used 1/4 lb of paraffin wax melted. Pour the wax in the canteen, put the stopper in, and slosh around in all directions. You'll feel and hear the wax start to solidify. Quickly pour the wax out and allow to air cool. I repeated this four or five times to ensure, I got complete coverage. I am going to allow it to get to room temperature and do a test. I will fill the canteen and check the exterior for moisture in the morning.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
Why not try hemp cord? I have found it better for most things than sisal or jute.
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Next step is to create a woven handle and a loop system to tie the stopper in place.

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
Quote:Why not try hemp cord? I have found it better for most things than sisal or jute.

I looked at hemp today and will use it on my next canteen. I have another gourd slightly larger sitting here. Hemp, being native to the region, is a wiser choice anyway. Thanks Smile

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
Happy to help. Big Grin
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Canteen is full of water and sitting on the kitchen sink, off to bed and hopefully a dry exterior in the morning.

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
Thanks for posting this Joe, I was under the impression a gourd canteen took a year to dry out before it could be modified as a canteen, now I'm check out gourds on ebay to do the same thing
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Gourds can take up to 2 years to dry out.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:Thanks for posting this Joe, I was under the impression a gourd canteen took a year to dry out before it could be modified as a canteen, now I'm check out gourds on ebay to do the same thing

The gourds I bought were pre-dried, which most on eBay already are.

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
The sap in certain gourds is poisonous to humans, so it's a good idea to let they thoroughly dry. And it does take a while. If you try to speed it up, the gourd may crack. Of course there are sometimes uses for those, like dippers, spoons, etc., but it's better to take time and let them dry naturally.

Nice work on the rope weaving. How much rope did it take? More than you thought it would, I'll bet.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:The sap in certain gourds is poisonous to humans, so it's a good idea to let they thoroughly dry. And it does take a while. If you try to speed it up, the gourd may crack. Of course there are sometimes uses for those, like dippers, spoons, etc., but it's better to take time and let them dry naturally.

Nice work on the rope weaving. How much rope did it take? More than you thought it would, I'll bet.

Yes, that warning should be up front. Matt, verify before you bid that the gourds are thoroughly dried. The rope weaving probably took half of this, split into the next lower braid

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA