Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sword Fighting Not What You Think It Is...
Interesting article posted on the Sci-Fi web site io9.

More Medieval than Ancient Greek or Roman, and for some members of this Forum old news, but some may find the article of interest.

Click on the link for the full article with photos.

http://io9.com/5918644/swordfighting-not...hink-it-is

Swordfighting: Not What You Think It Is

To borrow a famous line, the problem with most people trying to understanding the true nature of historical sword combat is not that they're ignorant — it's just that they know so much that isn't so.

It's amazing, really, how a subject that so permeates our modern pop culture, and is so ubiquitous, is one which virtually no one any longer has any real world experience in, nor pursues for its original function. As a result, most all our conceptions of sword-fighting get it wrong. The reality of it is not what you think it is.
Some readers will really get offended if you dare to suggest that they don't have an accurate conception of sword-fighting. It's pretty silly, since no one of them relies on this skill for self-preservation, nor makes it their profession. Plus, nearly everyone gets their information and opinions on it from the same essential sources: TV, movies, fantasy literature, video games, cartoons, comic books, dinner-theaters and renn-fairs fight shows. But where do those sources get their notions?

About the author: A recognized international expert, John Clements is the world's foremost instructor of Medieval and Renaissance fighting arts. Having pursued the craft since 1980, he has been a pioneer in reviving these forgotten martial disciplines and is a major force in the field of historical fencing studies. His writings have been featured in more than a dozen periodicals world-wide and he has appeared in numerous television and film documentaries. As director of ARMA, the Association for Renaissance Martial Arts (www.theARMA.org) he teaches and writes on the subject full-time from his facility outside Atlanta, Georgia. This article originally appeared on ARMA's website.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Thanks David, interesting read.

Now only if we can find some equivalent Roman text (with illustrations, of course) I'll be truly satisfied. ;-)
Alexander
Keep in mind that that piece is by John Clements, who is athletic and enthusiastic but sometimes lets his passions carry him against the evidence. I would use that article for "renaissance European martial arts exist, and are a lot of fun" more than for anything specific.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
And underneath the article :

Related Stories

-No, a bunker will not save you from the apocalypse
-It's official: Neutrinos can't go faster than the speed of light after all
-Could the "Touch of Death" work in real life?

Nuff said.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
LOL @ Henk...

Pretty good article...I can understand where his slightly condescending attitude comes from...a lot of JSA practitioners have it. (I used to have it, where it concerned my sword art...but grew out of it).

Legion: TBD
I do this kind of stuff...When I started I had to be self teaching, but that way you have the work and pleasure of doing tons of research...anything new for reenactors :lol:

I like it because it's historic (I aim to knowing the techniques and the systems of the past, not to invent a new one) and despite what has survived to this days, here and there you can often find a hint of the structure behind what seems a random bunch of postures and techniques. That medieval people wasn't much clear or organized, and there are always certain basics missing (and perhaps with a purpose).

The hardest part is to unlearn and correct yourself, but this is in all aspects of life Wink
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Watch this !!

You will find it really funny (hopefully)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2606...me_popular
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Gladiators fought with swords. Legionaries KILLED with them.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Quote:Gladiators fought with swords. Legionaries KILLED with them.
So what did Gladiators kill with? Sarcasm?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
:lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I had my misconceptions about sword fighting corrected by a former member of the Yugoslavian
Army kick boxing team. It was a simple but basic misconception, and the root of fighting with a sword is a simple but basic fact of survival.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel