Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Del Tin Gladius?
I was thinking about getting a new gladius, although I love the Albions, they are a bit out of my price range. I was interested in getting a Del Tin, but sometime last year, someone said their swords have had issues in the past. Does anyone have any comments to add on these swords? I was thinking of the Pompeii: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?...an+Gladius

i see they are made of "well tempered Chrome-Vanadium steel with a hardness of 50HRC and is peened to the pommel for durability"

I understand Chrome-Vanadium is also used for axes and knives, is there any reason not to use it as a sword. This is a sword I would like sharpened, even if it means I'll have to leave it home for events. Thanks
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Hi Matt!

The gladius could be sharpened quite easily, methinks. The problem with authenticity is the steel plate at the guard (should be bronze or brass) and the plate should also be sunk to the hilt. Overall it is nicely shaped and perhaps you could paint the guard plate with some metallic paint?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
I have an old (ca. 1985) del Tin Pompeii gladius. I had it rehilted by Fred Talley with a countersunk brass plate and a cowbone grip. A bigger issue is the triangular "ricasso" area which many purists dislike, but I figure eventually a gladius will be found with that feature and it will retroactively become authentic. With a little work, I put a paper-slicing edge on it.
Pecunia non olet
Matt, from what I have read on Sword Buyers Guide, Del Tin's are pretty solid. A small amount of modifcation and a new scabbard would make it a complete sword.

May I also suggest the Kris Kutlery gladius? They make TOUGH blades...though this one would also need a bit of modification...the pommel, hilt and guard look a bit ugly, and the scabbard would need a slight bit of work, but nothing a few days of work couldn't fix, and you'd have a stellar sword.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?...an+Gladius

Kris and Del Tin are the only other good, durable swords before you get into an Albion, which are IMO, overpriced.

Legion: TBD
Yes, Matt is right, I have also a Kris Cutlery gladius. It is also razor-sharp...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
I must have overlooked the KC sword, but for $100 less than the Del Tin, I can replace the the ugly pommel, plus the scabbard isn't even included with the Del Tin. Thanks everyone for your responses, I'll do further research on both
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt