Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Riding Coat from Antinoe
Thanks for all the info, this has been really interesting so far.

The feature I wanted to emphasise was not the sleeves but the narrow crossover with what looks like a small single lapel in the top corner. Here are some interesting pictures:

[Image: 4th5thchorsearcherfromt.jpg]

A 5th Century vase from Marv

[Image: dokhtarenoshirvan2nd3rd.jpg]

2nd - 3rd Century, Dokhtar-e-Nowshirvan

[Image: 8thcadsilklinenandfurtr.jpg]

8th Century, from Khorasan or the Caucasus

[Image: qizilcourtiersinsassani.jpg]

I forget the exact date on this one but it is from Kyzyl, I think it is 7th Century.

And yes, I did mean 9th Century for Moschevaya Balka, not 8th, oops!

Is there anything Roman about the coat (its features), other than where it was found?
Yes, I agree that the Romans were wearing them, but I don't think that is enough to qualify it as a Roman coat ...
Nadeem Ahmad

Eran ud Turan - reconstructing the Iranian and Indian world between Alexander and Islam
https://www.facebook.com/eranudturan
[url=http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=11set=a.110162286821.107786.585291821&type=3][/url]

This is a link of a picture of one of the red coats (plus some other images that show the Romans having the hanging sleeves), so the design is similar for sure. For me the issue isn't necessarily who made the coats, as there was certainly a lot of trade going back and forth, the issue is were Romans wearing them? The other items found at this site does seem to indicate that Rome was in control of Antinoe at the time of these coats.
(06-14-2012, 01:39 AM)lucrezia Wrote: Hello Graham,
I would be thrilled for any feedback you have. Your books have been an awesome resource for me in my research on Roman clothing. So, thank you for that Smile I do have the Riding Costume of Egypt book, it is indeed well worth the money, but I still need to do some translation work on that. For the most part the measurements I used for the coats are true to those found on the extant samples, except I made the arms a bit wider.
I also have an appointment to see a swatch of the turquoise fabric, which resides in the Henry Art Gallery in Seattle, which should give me an idea of the actual fabric weight. I am curious if you are aware of on images of the hooded dalmatica?
I have uploaded the images on my Live Journal page, which I made public, so the images should be viewable there.
http://issylucrezia.livejournal.com/26140.
Greetings,

I see that this thread is a bit dated now but I haven’t been able to find further information regarding the hooded dalmatica worn by an adult that was so beautifully illustrated by Graham Sumner. I have his illustration from both Roman Military Clothing (3) and his article in Wearing the Cloak. 

I have seen the 5 (so far) children tunics with hoods but no evidence for the adult version. Can anyone enlighten me to further evidence for one? 

thank you,

Mari

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Riding Coats - Late Roman ? Conal 15 3,548 02-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Last Post: gaiusseptimiuslucianus