Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catapults as torture devices?
Finally rememebered to look this up. It is in "Tarzan Escapes". Jump to 1:15:30 in the film.

http://youtu.be/5-4JQUgMyLM
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:"Tarzan Escapes"

Funnily enough, the 'pulled apart by trees' execution was apparently known in the ancient world:

"...he alone among all commanders inflicted the following punishment on a soldier who had committed adultery with the wife of the man at whose house he was lodged: bending down the tops of two trees, he fastened them to the soldier's feet and then let them fly upward so suddenly that the man hung there torn in two — a penalty which inspired great terror in all." (Historia Augusta, Aurelian 7.3)
Nathan Ross
OW OW OW OW OW OW

that would do it.

Somehow, this should go on FB RAT.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:Funnily enough, the 'pulled apart by trees' execution was apparently known in the ancient world
For those with long memories or who have seen it more recently online (as I believe you can), something similar was supposed to happen in the 1948 film 'The Paleface', starring Bob Hope and Jane Russell. Fortunately, Bob Hope's boot came off and he was swept by one leg to the top of a very tall tree. As I remember (but I'm going back 60-odd years), the next scene was of the tree with a speech bubble coming from the top saying "Help!"
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
While I can't give an exact source, I believe that in the 12th century King John had his victims tossed from a catapult. No torture here, just one hellova way to go. Cool
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb