Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wolf & Twins/Oberstimm Balteus plates dating
You have to remember Paolo, the Early Church was very paranoid and superstitious. A lot of information was lost because it was deemed too "pagan", and many scholars were prevented from learning more or at least publishing their findings. Dissecting corpses was illegal, for some time, so doctors and scientist could not further understand the human body
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Hello Matt,

Thanks for your reply. My statement was more about how ridiculous and ironic that the wheel had to be rediscovered. Well, your point hits the nail right on the head. Yet, we still see religion interfering even today with science.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I didn't know the Romans thought and knew the world was round!!! lol...and science is just how nature explains itself...people shouldn't assume nothing "magical" is real just because they have found the buildingblocks to life! You know someone had to have put those blocks together Tongue

That is very interesting Philus!!! But how can you convince me that what is there on that coin, is a globe? Are there other findings with such evidence?
Samuel J.
Quote:I didn't know the Romans thought and knew the world was round!!! lol...and science is just how nature explains itself...people shouldn't assume nothing "magical" is real just because they have found the buildingblocks to life! You know someone had to have put those blocks together

I know I'm a horrible person for citing a wiki article, I won't vouch for its complete accuracy, but it will at least give you a footing to further explore other articles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_E...cal_Greece

Although I don't recall who exactly, I did know before I glanced over a wiki article the Greeks had theorized the world was not flat due to the phases of the moon, the stars, and the fact that a Greek philosopher nearly correctly estimated the circumference of the Earth
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Quote:That is very interesting Philus!!! But how can you convince me that what is there on that coin, is a globe? Are there other findings with such evidence?

I'll chime in here. A coin of Titus:

IMP T CAES VESP AVG P M TR P PP COS VIII
Laureate head of Titus left with short beard.

PROVIDENTIA - AVGVST / SC
Vespasian togate and radiate, standing right and Titus, togate, standing left, holding together globe; between them, rudder.

RIC 128

[attachment=4374]14834.jpg[/attachment]

and a coin of Tiberius:

TI CAESAR DIVI AVG F AVGVST IMP VIII
Laureate head of Tiberius left.

PONTIF MAX TR POT XXXVII S – C
Rudder placed vertically across banded globe; small globe at base of rudder.

RIC 58

[attachment=4375]10887.jpg[/attachment]

There are literally hundreds of different types of Roman coins which show a globe, not a disc from Republican times right through to the 4th century.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
I think it is very well explained by Jay where he shows just how Emperors pointed out that they were steering the Globe (or world not a flat disc) in their direction for the good and better of all.
Anyway this is taking the subject a little bit more off topic but of course with interest to just what is on the Cornucopia style of plate, then as far as dating these plates I shall stick my neck out and say 1st to 2nd century AD that should fall in line for most average re-enactors to use.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Was it not at the time of Columbus that the world was shown to be conclusively round?
Nope. It's all a bit of a Dando-Collins.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
The Greeks knew the world was a globe. The diameter had even been pretty accurately discerned. I don't think they understood why those at the bottom didn't fall off, though.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  my cingulum of Oberstimm Lucius Petilius Remo 9 2,679 09-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Last Post: Matt Lukes
  Oberstimm beltplates Marcus Mummius 33 6,845 12-15-2005, 12:05 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Balteus plates dimensions Marcus Mummius 0 1,186 09-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius