Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can\'t we all just work together! Deva 2012
Well I am glad that this thread kicked off such a good debate. A lot of very valuable points have been made; I won't re-iterate them all but say the following. I have been a re-enactor for 30 years, WW2 initially, back in 1982 when the real equipment was cheaper than the repro. I had to give it a break whilst in the regular military (what, you want to go and play soldiers, have we not got enough wars for you? Not the done thing for an officer to do!) and returned to the Roman world 1999. Having trawled through the early internet I decided upon a group (RMRS), and then contacted them to get info on equipment. At my first outing I had my made own Caligae, Tunica (hand stitched), Focale and Paenula (it was a February training session!). During the training session I was welcomed and lent equipment, by the end of it I had purchased, mostly on a "pay me as you can" basis, nearly all of the basic equipment. A welcoming and helpful group gains and retains re-enactors. As they made a lot of the equipment themselves they also ensured the standards were high as regards known authenticity, and were cheaper than Deepeka! Although I can no longer wear the armour (breaking collar bone when skiing and falling off motor bikes!) I still remember those early days and always bring as much spare kit as I can.
I also think that attitude is important. Many people try to play the "1st person" whilst in the public eye doing the living history; i.e. "I am Centurio Porcus Agricolus Vermanus"....(yes, I know the Latin is incorrect but I am typing off the cuff and making a point!)......no you are not, you area fat middle age man who probably will have a heart attack if you run 100 metres who has a bit of a power thing going on! The public are much more interested in why you are interested in what you are doing. A genuine interest and desire for knowledge is very rarely met badly by the public, wether casual passers by or interested parties. When we get new recruits lets get them to remember why they joined and pass that enthusiasm on. When on parade and displays we can slip into the 1st person role quite correctly.
And most of all, lets enjoy it. I have slept in the open and wet enough in the military, don't want to do it as a hobby. If you do, great, but do not criticise me for staying dry. There is a reason we are not washing ourselves with olive oil and strigils nowadays (never mind the price of olive oil!), so if you want to, great (and as said, slightly creepy!), but don't criticise me for opting for a warm shower and soap!
Right, will lower head beneath the walls again and take my medication! Thanks to all for very positive discussions
Dea Gratia, Sum Quod Sum

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why can\'t we all just work together! Deva 2012 - by Guy Story - 06-14-2012, 01:53 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DEVA 2012 66kbm 103 18,959 06-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Last Post: DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS