Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can\'t we all just work together! Deva 2012
I was rather spoilt when I joined re-enactment, because I joined Quinta at South Shields in the north of Britain. Run by an archaeologist, Alex Croom, the guide book is a wonder, with patterns for 3rd C clothing, drawings of relevant brooches, shoes, spoons, etc, lists of suitable 3rdC names ...

The beginners guide, and the ethos of the group, was explicit. Everything but underwear needs to be 100% authentic. That's it. The kit list started small, a beginner should have ... soft kit, cloak, bowl and spoon. It went on to describe other things as the recruit had money or time to gather them. Armour, sword and helmet were much later on.

It stuck with me ever since.

Currently I attend small shows, sometimes we get very few visitors depending on the weather, but I can tell you now, we are as authentic as if we were at a massive English Heritage event, and expecting to bump into Mr Coulston or Mr Bishop themselves! Its a matter of pride.

That said, I have made concessions in the past, particularly as I gathered new kit. My Late Roman belt was made up out of a purchased buckle and strap end, but bronze stiffeners and hangers recycled from a Deepeeka scabbard. I still use the belt, I made it, and I'm proud of it! I had a shoulder bag of modern chrome tanned leather, but replaced it a couple of years later after some pointed it out to me.

Re-enactment for me has been a mixed attraction, I like to teach a little to the public (I am an educator and a writer), but more than that I like to experience the clothing, the weight, the food, the discomfort, the chance to make the same items Romans did... It's an experience for me. So I dilute the experience if I sleep in a sleeping bag or eat a tin of curry for dinner or wear Roman boots with rubber waterproof soles... why dilute the experience?

But that's MY reason for re-enacting, it isn't everyones. Some want to look cool (OK I do too!), and to participate in group activities, what they eat for dinner or the weight of their shield is not as relevent for them, its about entry level kit, what do I need to get on the field?
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why can\'t we all just work together! Deva 2012 - by Mithras - 06-13-2012, 08:32 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DEVA 2012 66kbm 103 18,962 06-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Last Post: DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS