Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can\'t we all just work together! Deva 2012
Quote:Unfortunately it's getting harder and harder with this new generation. My cohort is fairly young and I can't seem to recruit anyone younger than 25 or so.

Doesn't that make your unit a bit more like the original recruits? :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I am not so sure. Part of the problem, to ME, is the video game generation (not attacking them, just pointing out) don't know about this. You just have to "hook them" with some action. Action tends to spark interest. And if you can get them interested, you can then get them out there.

Also, most younger guys will just walk by static displays. They want and crave action. A scorpio firing, a ballista throwing cantaloupes or watermelons... And better yet, maybe some kind of target the reacts in a spectacular manner when hit. BAM! You have them. Magnus and I discussed stuff like needlefelt combat. If they see guys doing that, it really helps. I remember watching the Gladiators at George Mason and they really drew people in by letting them try it. Needlefelt also allows this.

Other things, a unit brochure -- very important. My unit's special projects director, recently made us up some really nice, colourful biz cards (they're cheap now) and they seem to go over well. In this day, you REALLY need to have a GOOD website with INFORMATION and lots of photos. A unit hand book to keep them interested (make it good bathroom reading and a handy size to keep with them). New guys are starved for tidbits of info and you need to be there to talk to them. Designate a "recruit coordinator" to talk to them and then assign a good sponsor. Last, have events.

And really, emphasize that all they need to come out to try it is a tunica, a rope belt and caligae. Have cheap sources for that.

Can you guys tell I'm a recruiter? I like that and what I call "social engineering" and it works. Build comradeship. Recruit, recruit, recruit and give them things to do. Matt Amt has a great article on starting a unit. Check it out -- MANY of the things he says are valid for an existing unit.

My last bit here: don't limit your unit by saying things like "We don't do public events" or "we only do this for the children." Say "Well, we do both, if you don't wish to come to everything, that's okay. We'll be happy to see you when you come."
Ende
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Oh, and WELCOME THEM. We've all seen units/groups that ignore new guys or won't talk to them :-( But new recruits even more... if they see you welcoming them, it goes a long ways. Also, I think on it a bit and perhaps even get them into a lorica and explain things.. so they don't feel they're being made fun of... people wanna be part of stuff.

How's that?
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
Quote:Wonder if its an image and a cost thing. Cost means that its more of a middle aged hobby, which in turn gives it an image of something enjoyed by middle aged guys. :?:
I think so. It took me a while before I could afford the stuff that I wanted to have. And yes, I know now (not back then) that one can start with just a tunic, boots and a spear, and that lots could be made yourself. So I started with a budget.. at age 35.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DEVA 2012 66kbm 103 18,757 06-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Last Post: DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS