Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2000 Year Old Gold and Silver Hoard
From southern Israel here

(I hope this is in the right section as its assumed to be a civilian hoard as opposed to military)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Thanks for that Moi. It says silver and gold dating from Nero, Nerva and Trajan but the photo shows mostly bronze (which look later than Trajan) with a few gold sprinkled in. I wonder if the picture of the coins is of the actual find? A bigger photo or a break down of types would be of help. The speculation is that it was hidden by a woman during the Bar Kokhba revolt. Very interesting!
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Glad it was useful.

If I see any other related articles I'll post them. Not sure how long we'll have to wait for a proper report though.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Thanks for the segnalation Vindex!

Jay wrote:

A bigger photo or a break down of types would be of help.

Here the (italian)article of the discovery with 10 nice photos of the different finds. Wait for the report ...

The translation of the Italian text is more or less:

The four gold coins dated to the Roman empire are believed extremely rare from the Israeli archaeologists. With the coins, during the excavations near Kiriyat, in the slopes of the Hermon mountain, have also been found an earring and a ring. An exceptional discovery for the Israeli archaeological studies that, unlike the European territory, counts only a Roman treasure of 10 pieces dated to the gold age.

Best!
S.M.
--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
That's better! The aurei are of Nerva, Trajan and two of Nero. Three are in almost mint state. These must have been put away right after she got them. I'd be interested to see what the bronze coins are because they look much later...unless they are Eastern Provincial coinage. Hard to tell.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony