Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Akontismos
Hello everyone,

I was wondering what distance a javelin can reach when it is thrown from horseback. Is it possible to throw it above the first ranks (like a parabolic shot with a bow) or do we consider the direct shot as the only possibility ?

Cheers,

Michael
Quote:I was wondering what distance a javelin can reach when it is thrown from horseback. Is it possible to throw it above the first ranks (like a parabolic shot with a bow) or do we consider the direct shot as the only possibility ?
I would imagine one can throw it as far from horseback as one could on the ground? Or perhaps a bit further when the horse is at a gallop?

Above the first row - you mean hitting the front rank directly from above? If you're an expert javelinman, why not? Javelins (and arrows, and plumbatae, and a lot more) can follow a parabolic trajectory.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I think that the question is a bit misleading. There is no reason to throw a javelin as far as one can. It would only harmlessly fall on a random point of the battleground. Mounted javelineers, as horse archers also, would hurl their missiles from a very close distance and would try to hit a very specific target. I would say a max range of 15 m, normally even shorter should be considered as the effective range of a horse javelineer (riding towards a target many javelins would be thrown before facing about and returning to where the squadron would regroup).

That javelins could be thrown over ranks of friendlies is undoubted and mentioned many times, even if sometimes advised against as very dangerous.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ