Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Revolt of Vindex and the Fall of Nero
Quote: Do you assume his case is related to stoic conspiracies against Nero (Piso, possibly Seneca) and under the Flavians (Paetus)?

Yes indeed; having just found my notes made a long time ago from Arnold's book there is a cross refrence to Seneca which I think is in the Latomus article although as I remember at the moment, even Brunt was just discussing previous revolts and did not connect the Gallic nobleman with Senatorial disapproval of Nero.

I am not as convinced by Paetus but I know less of him.

Even the fact that Vindex committed suicide out of shame for letting his soldiers down after the dubious incident with Verginius Rufus puts him on a par with Republican Romans; and then there's the coinage which was minted too.

And isn't it enticing to wonder what those discussions between the "Rebel" and the General were about?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Revolt of Vindex and the Fall of Nero - by Vindex - 06-03-2012, 04:17 PM