Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Sneak Peek at the Dioskouri Corinthian
Hi again! In case someone searches for the Denda-finds, they are no longer displayed in the Glyptothek in Munich, they are now in the building vice-versa, the Staatliche Antikensammlung, in the basement. Since it is now displayed further downwards, one can now also easily see the top of the helmet, but not the backside any longer, unfortunately.
Nonetheless, to further my point about the extreme thinness of these helmets on top and backside, I made a few pics. You can see all kinds of very small dents, and a crack, which shows that the helmet skull is at that place just about 0.5 mm thick.
I would love to see a helmet by Dioskouri, or with the excellent Dioskouri outer appearance, but made like one of these originals, and in the type of alloy I quoted above, i.e. "authentic". Please don´t take this as a negative comment, again, but rather as a part of a discussion about these helmets. I think since this was posted here in this section, and not in marketplace this is also in the sense of this forum.
[Image: IMG_5672.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5671.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5668.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5667.jpg]
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Great pictures Christian.

Pity about the damage.
But these are the sort of images that are needed to make a good reconstruction.
This one is the best I have seen. I imagine his work will improve too, as do most craftsmens'.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Same here, surprise, surprise.
http://www.rom.on.ca/en/blog/weapon-wedn...ian-helmet
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
It certainly is a good looking helmet. It reminds me of Joe Balmos' archaic Corinthian which he posted on FAR.

Thanks for the link!
I know this type of hammer. I have seen similar ones in south west asia in the jungle areas. and they were making bowls and other conical things from them. the head is metal streatched long ways to a curved head of the hammer like tool.

Hope that helps some. And ill look for a site to buy one.
I am so glad about this thread! I have always thought that various greek helmets were impossible to make from a simple sheet of bronze (thick nose guards, etc.). The process must have included some casting along the way. This is not hindsight, seriously! I was afraid to tell my opinions on this due to the possibility of making a fool of myself (again). Wink
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Kopis From Dioskouri katsika 54 13,542 02-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Daniel S.
  dioskouri KrimzonKnight 1 1,955 06-08-2011, 04:36 AM
Last Post: katsika