Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Sneak Peek at the Dioskouri Corinthian
Here is the first rough "progress" photo sent to me this morning of the new Dioskouri helmet. The much anticipated item will soon be available for personal orders. These will be made per the individual, so as to fit properly - not like the usual one size fits all available almost everywhere else. I am personally excited to be able to own a helmet, made in the same fashion and method as the ancients. I realize this shot doesn't reveal very much yet, however, I am told this is intentional because it isn't finished and they do not wish to give any false impressions about its final appearance to the public. I will post updates and newer images when I get them. Hope you are as excited as I am!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill
Looks very promising, please keep us updated!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Great! When will it be done? If this is going to be done like the originals, what is the weight estimated to be when done? As I understand the originals are much thicker than most modern replicas
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
about time! iv been waiting to hear news of these helmets. I hope they come out looking like his brass helmet. will black face be an option?
This helmet will be completely authentic in every way - not a single weld or seam anywhere. The only difference between this helmet and an original is the effects of being 2,400 years (+ -) in the dirt. Scheduling of availability is uncertain at this point. The final stages are nearing completion, but it should be sometime later this year.

Weight is an uncertain issue as well, as it is impossible to know (until it is finished) what the actual original weight of a helmet of this type would have been when new, but since the Dioskouri is constructed with exacting accuracy, it will be within ounces of an original when finished (after all, bronze weighs what bronze weighs). The average wall thickness will hover between 3 and 4 mm, with increased thickness around the cranation ridge and the oculars/nasal areas.

I am told there will be many finishing options offered, from blackface, satin finish, satin finish with polished ocular ridges, overall polished - your imagination is the only limitation here. There will even be engraving offered (along the same line as my Manning, which is shown on another thread in this forum).
Bill
A very tantalising glimpse indeed! 8-)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks - I have other pictures, but I have been instructed NOT to reveal these... YET!! - I can tell you, the pictures I have seen so far are VERY exciting. To get an idea of the look the finished helmet will suggest, I have attached images that indicate an APPROXIMATE (but not exact) direction the helmet is going. I am told the object here is to look like the Dioskouri came from the same "school" of armorers (but not intended to be a direct copy). We have all seen these images, but I have attached them as a "hint" of things that are presently in the works.

Bill
Great stuff! The first one is my favourite Corinthian!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Great stuff! The first one is my favourite Corinthian!

Mine too, it has all the nice proportions of the corinthian helmets perfectly in place!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
That is the helmet we refer to as "Denda" because that particular inscription is found inside the helmet. Dioskouri affectionately (and privately) refers to its new helmet as the "Dendaskouri" because it was the starting point for this helmet and bears a strong resemblance to Denda. The oculars, nasal, cranation and forehead areas are closely patterned after Denda because of its universal appeal and almost hypnotic "gaze".
Bill
What would a guess at the price be,

Edward
Edward Lindey

A horse is a thing of beauty... none will tire of looking at him as long as he displays himself in his splendor.         Xenophon

Not sure yet. I think they will be comparable to Manning prices - I personally am hoping for less, but I know there is a lot of work that goes into each helmet. Also, price will vary with the amount of embellishment applied according to personal requests. The way I'm looking at it is, even if they cost as much as $1,500 (and I am told this is not going to happen - at least not on the basic model), the opportunity to own a REAL, non-replica Corinthian, constructed by original methods doesn't come along every day. I think too, that the quality and accuracy of these helmets will be so spot-on, I will spend at least the first month staring into those vacant eyes. Confusedhock:

Bill
Here is the latest teaser from Dioskouri - coming along nicely!! Big Grin

Bill
Quote:Here is the latest teaser from Dioskouri - coming along nicely!! Big Grin

Graceful curves, very promising ;-) !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
so whatever happened to this? its been a week, when will we see the full helmet, with a crest hopefully.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Kopis From Dioskouri katsika 54 13,717 02-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Daniel S.
  dioskouri KrimzonKnight 1 1,978 06-08-2011, 04:36 AM
Last Post: katsika