Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Interests You About the Greek Military?
<FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Just to kick things off in this forum, let's have a poll -- it's a great icebreaker!<br>
<br>
If you don't see a choice that appeals to you, feel free to post and comment and make your alternate preference known.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny<br>
Admin<br>
<br>
<br>
</FONT><FORM method=post action="http://p208.ezboard.com/fgreekarmytalkfrm8.processVote?topicID=1.topic"><table border=0 cellpadding=3 cellspacing=0 width="55%"><tbody><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="1"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Hoplites and Phalanx Combat</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="2"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Greek Naval Warfare</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="3"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Alexander and Macedon</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="4"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Enemies of Greece and Macedon</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="5"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Sparta (Lakedaemonia)</FONT></td></tr></tbody></table><P><input type=submit value="Vote"></form><a HREF=http://p208.ezboard.com/fgreekarmytalkfrm8.showMessage?topicID=1.topic&pollResults=on><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=1>Show results</FONT></A> <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
I think all those topics are fascinating. Those and many more.<br>
<br>
But what I find truly fascinating is their spirits, their minds and motivations, the many feats they managed to conquer by force or reason, despite the state of the technology of the era, specially the Athenians.<br>
<br>
The amount of Hellenic elements still present and even key stones in current western cultures is impressive: the drama, the philosophy, the democracy that Athens gave to Humankind...<br>
<br>
It's certainly fascinating. And that's what astonishes me the more. Can we transport ourselves to those times and really understand how they could create such wonders as the Parthenon or the Erecteion, and at the same time to be so ferocious and aggressive as they were? While it may be contradictory for our mentality, it was the way their minds worked by then. Really fascinating.<br>
<br>
I think this will be really wonderful :-)<br>
<br>
laters,<br>
P. Lilius aka Argylos <p></p><i></i>
I voted for "hoplites and phalanx combat", but Greek naval warfare, Alexander, and Sparta are all of interest. <p></p><i></i>
Being from a country (United States) that emulates many ideals of Ancient Greece, my fondness for the Classical Greek armies are close to my heart. My interest goes deeper, though, including concepts such as their philosophy (stoicism) and democracy (one shield, one vote). In my opinion, an army is a reflection of a culture.<br>
<br>
At the moment my focus is on the Persian Wars, though I'm about to study the Peloponessian War. Though, I wish there were more information about the Minoans and Mycenaeans, particulary the origination of the Dorians and Ionians, which would help me understand the Classical Greeks more.<br>
<br>
As far as the Persian Wars era goes, I especially like the political contrasts between the Spartans and Athenians. Though, I'm partial to the Athenians. The Greek unions, both in 490 and 480-79, was incredible! More so then Alexander's campaign, in my opinion. I love the purpose, discipline, and lethality of their armies.<br>
<br>
It's no wonder that some of the greatest nations (the Roman and British Empires, and the United States) - at least in terms of military and cultural longevity and potency - have had their roots in Classical Greece. <p></p><i></i>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>My interest goes deeper, though, including concepts such as their philosophy (stoicism) and democracy (one shield, one vote).<hr><br>
I find the contrast between Aristotle and Plato to be fascinating. Stoicism and scepticism to me are interesting as attempts to deal with a decaying culture by turning one's focus inward. I find the Spartan system of government as important as the Athenian democracy since many features of our own republic have more in common with the Roman Republic and the Spartan system than the Athenian "pure" democracy. The idea of citizenship being tied to ownership of land was also similar in the early Roman and American republics.<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>In my opinion, an army is a reflection of a culture.<hr><br>
I agree. A quick comparison of the armies of the Roman Republic, early Empire, and late Empire illustrate this quite well I think.<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Though, I wish there were more information about the Minoans and Mycenaeans <hr><br>
So do I. I'd like to know how much Homer reflects military practices of his own day rather than that of the Late Bronze Age. The mystery of the general cultural collapse in the Eastern Mediterranean c. 1200 BC is also a perennial favorite of mine.<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>I love the purpose, discipline, and lethality of their armies. <hr><br>
You would probably like Hanson's other books <em>The Western Way of War</em> and <em>Carnage and Cultures</em>.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
I would have voted, but as my mouse centered over one, I found that I could not click, due to the fact that I could not decide! Each and every thing is interesting. The phalanx, Alexander and his phalangites, Sparta; who could possibly choose?! <p></p><i></i>
Clearchus said:<br>
> who could possibly choose?!<br>
<br>
Indeed!<br>
<br>
I have just finished reading a book by Valerio Massimo Manfredi which continues where the _Illiad_ left it (I'll post the title later) and it absolutely hooked me to pre-dorian greeks, while _Akropolis_ made me fall in love with Athens, and his _Alexandros_ trilogy is exceptional.<br>
<br>
How can we decide? We love them all!<br>
<br>
laters,<br>
P. Lilius aka Argyros <p></p><i></i>
HI,<br>
I feel that a reference to Hellenistic artilley and their superb siege engines is lacking...<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
I too have interest in siege engine but cannot find good book. I obtain Ancient Siege Warfare by Kern but it is no good for this. <p></p><i></i>
** Vincula/Lucy **
Even though it isn't exactly about the military I find it interesting to research and study the creation of the nation states, such as pelops and the early days, such as the myth of the trojan war, which I do believe is not a myth, as well as the creation of athens. <p></p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Nil recitas et vis, Mamerce, poeta videri.
Quidquid vis esto, dummodo nil recites!- Martial
You might want to be careful about using the term "nation-state," Ken, as it connotes to most historians something different than I think you mean.<br>
<br>
Aaron <p></p><i></i>
you are right, I was just reading about something that was talking about nation-states so got my historical jargon mixed up for a moment, I meant to say city-states, as nations were really not in being until the more modern age. Thanks for telling me. <p></p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Nil recitas et vis, Mamerce, poeta videri.
Quidquid vis esto, dummodo nil recites!- Martial
OK, that clears it up for me; your post makes alot more sense to me now with the correction.<br>
<br>
Aaron <p></p><i></i>
Hard choice. With Athens and Spart we have a conflict who is already modern; in the other hand, we have Alexander who's campaign would be a true model for any conqueror. Ok, so the hoplites (as good as any other). <p></p><i></i>
What interests me most is the bronze age .<br>
I know very little about classical Greeks .<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Military Cuisine Ramesses II 2 1,086 03-29-2007, 06:22 AM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Greek military pictures Carlton Bach 29 6,052 04-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Last Post: Arthes