Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equipment in the Julius Terentius Fresco
[spoiler][Image: duraeuropos1.jpg][/spoiler]

Even though the fresco dates from 239 AD, I cannot help but seeing (or imagining?) Julius Terentius wearing an Intercisa-style ridge helmet with a metal crest every time I take a look at it. I also seem to recognize a Niederbieber-style helmet on the third top left figure (which are supposed to resemble statues of gods or deified emperors).
However, the Yale University Art Gallery states that the peaked helmets of the deities are in fact of Palmyrene origin (http://ecatalogue.art.yale.edu/detail.htm?objectId=4961). If true, that would rule out the Niederbieber-style helmet, but not the Intercisa-style helmet.

I was wondering what others think about it and make of it.
Thijs Koelewijn
There was a fragmentary helmet discovered near Poitiers, I think, and dated to c.AD270, which appears to be a Niederbieber with a Intercisa-style 'fin' crest. As far as I know the details have not yet been published, but Terentius might be wearing something like this. Then again, from what I can make out of the image the figure on the far right also appears to be wearing a smallish 'fin' helmet...

Julius Afranius, in Kestoi, quoted by Nicasie in Twilight of Empire, claimed that Roman helmets in the early 3rd century were too large, and impaired vision - which might suggest that a lighter type, something like the Intercisa, was introduced around then. But we have enough evidence of the Niederbieber from Dura Europos, Buch and perhaps Poitiers to show that the larger helmets continued in use for many decades.

As for the three dieties, I don't know why Yale claims that the peaked helmet was a Palmyrene style. The figures are clearly wearing Greco-Roman 'heroic' armour, and coin images of the 3rd century often show a similar looking peaked helmet worn by Gods and emperors. Perhaps this represents a real model as yet unknown to archaeology, or perhaps it's just a classicising ideal.
Nathan Ross
Quote:I cannot help but seeing (or imagining?) Julius Terentius wearing an Intercisa-style ridge helmet with a metal crest every time I take a look at it.
Imagining, I think. Sad It's a pity that Terentius' face is one of the areas of the fresco that have been damaged. I believe that he is depicted bare-headed (and crew-cut!), like his men; the "fin" is an illusion caused by the right arm of Themes (son of Mokimos, priest), who stands behind him. Sorry!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:I believe that he is depicted bare-headed (and crew-cut!), like his men; the "fin" is an illusion caused by the right arm of Themes (son of Mokimos, priest), who stands behind him.
You're quite right - although I think it's actually the cloak of the man standing behind Terentius, which is a similar yellow/brown colour to his head!

This view, possibly enhanced or photographed with flash, shows the arrangement more clearly:

[Image: terentiusDuraEuropos.jpg]

While this much larger image shows the complete fresco in better detail:

Terentius Fresco - large
Nathan Ross
Argh! After all those times that I've looked at the picture I finally see it now. This 'metal crest' I kept seeing is indeed merely the yellow/brown cloak of the figure behind him. The way he held his arm came to me as if Terentius in front of him was wearing some kind crested helmet. And indeed he is also bare-headed.

I really need to get my eyes checked. :oops:
Thijs Koelewijn
Quote:I really need to get my eyes checked. :oops:
Don't worry - I admit that I'd always assumed he was wearing a helmet too, not having looked too closely at it! Just goes to show that it pays to consider the bigger picture Smile
Nathan Ross
Quote:You're quite right - although I think it's actually the cloak of the man standing behind Terentius, which is a similar yellow/brown colour to his head!
Correct. I meant that the fin shape is created by the space under Themes' arm. I didn't notice that he was wearing a cloak! :roll:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Don't worry - I admit that I'd always assumed he was wearing a helmet too, not having looked too closely at it! Just goes to show that it pays to consider the bigger picture Smile

Quote:Correct. I meant that the fin shape is created by the space under Themes' arm. I didn't notice that he was wearing a cloak! :roll:

I guess we all learned at least something today... Smile
Thijs Koelewijn
Nathan Ross wrote:

Don't worry - I admit that I'd always assumed he was wearing a helmet too, not having looked too closely at it! Just goes to show that it pays to consider the bigger picture

D B Campbell wrote:
Correct. I meant that the fin shape is created by the space under Themes' arm.

Indeed. He was reconstructed as such in the opening credits of ''The Fall of the Roman Empire" and was also described as wearing a yellow helmet crest in Phil Barker's book 'Armies and Enemies of Imperial Rome'.

Terentius and one other individual wear white cloaks. everyone else amongst the military shown in the fresco wear yellow brown cloaks.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Terentius painting vexillum gneuspartak 18 4,022 03-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Arahne
  Fresco of a Roman soldier in a red tunic Uwe Bahr 10 3,259 04-06-2004, 05:32 PM
Last Post: drsrob