Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centurion helmet from Sisak, Croatia
OK, starting to build this helmet based on Rado's interactions with RAT and others. Will keep RAT updated on the same. Thank you once again Tarbicus, for your kind inputs. Did we miss this one in the past when we worked together on many models ?

Do you think the RAT members might be interested in this model if we launch a limited numbers for them as last time, before it goes to the market ?

Regards

Gagan
If I might ask a question, Why is the crest holder on the re-production set at 90 degrees to that of the original helmet ?
For if the crest holder to be used on the re-production were of the number 3 type as shown by Rado it would work much better with the slot in a transverse position as on the original.
In fact after looking again at the number 3 type crest holder the locating bar at the bottom should be at an angle of 90 degrees to that shown if it is to be uesd as a centurians crest holder.
Brian Stobbs
Will the reconstruction have the silver sheet applied to the iron bowl and the decoration gilt as per the original? Instead od silver sheet, will there be any issue of silvering at all?
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Rado, if you look at the Italic crest holder, it is not for a centurios transverse crest. If you slot the holder foward, the upper prongs are made to hold a normal crest that goes from front to back. You will have to make a crest holder much the same but the top must be rotated to accomodate the transverse crest.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:Will the reconstruction have the silver sheet applied to the iron bowl and the decoration gilt as per the original? Instead od silver sheet, will there be any issue of silvering at all?
Ave Primvs Pilvs
It will be very well if all the helmet will be plated with silver!Here in Bulgaria I am working on this option and opportunity ..
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
http://legio-iiii-scythica.com/index.php/en/
Quote:Rado, if you look at the Italic crest holder, it is not for a centurios transverse crest. If you slot the holder foward, the upper prongs are made to hold a normal crest that goes from front to back. You will have to make a crest holder much the same but the top must be rotated to accomodate the transverse crest.
The Crest support of the centurion crest must be something like this (to be able lock in the crest holder).
[Image: b71346401340.jpg]
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
Quote:Rado, if you look at the Italic crest holder, it is not for a centurios transverse crest. If you slot the holder foward, the upper prongs are made to hold a normal crest that goes from front to back. You will have to make a crest holder much the same but the top must be rotated to accomodate the transverse crest.
The Crest support of the centurion crest must be something like this (to be able lock at the crest holder).
[Image: b71346401340.jpg]
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
I would like to share this picture with you guys!
[Image: 3547364cc659t.jpg]
A friend of mine was on a trip to Zagreb and brought me this picture from historical Museum (and not only this picture Smile...! There is a treasure trove for us!
So.. I think that the Deepeeka model of Galiic F will be very suitable in size and type for reproduction on Centurion helmet F model - from Sisak (I judge by the measurements taken of the dimensions).
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
Rado.
I am looking at the crest holder that you show and the helmet previous to it and it cannot work as a holder for a transverse crest, this is why I raised the point of why is the re-production crest holder at 90 degrees to the original which of course your crest holder would work with but not the repro'.
When we look at the number 3 type of holder if the lower plate was made 90 degrees to that as shown it would work for a centurian crest and of course give greater stability with it's large round base instead of just a bar that is going to flop around.
Brian Stobbs
OK guys, Lots of discussion. here are the 1st prototype pictures for your kind comments.

Gagan
[attachment=4727]SDC17509.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=4728]SDC17510.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=4729]SDC17511.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Looks very promising Gagan! May I ask how are the proportions of the bowl, from side to side and from front to back? A couple of years ago Deepeeka changed the proportions of the helmet bowls and I have since stopped to buy them because they are much too round in my opinion. It is quite frustrating because the helmet are otherwise very nice...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Rado,

Brian is correct!

I would go with the type 3 Holder, and ask Gagan to rotate the mount 90 degrees
so it will be usable for a centurion crest!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Dear Mr.Gagan
I looked on your product. In general these are the forms..with a few exceptions!
Please be aware of that :
1.The round crest holders must be attached with 4 rivets (it should be not welded).

Transverse aperture must match to the centurion crest , in order to coincide exactly with rings with brackets for the leather straps of the centurion crestwood.
[Image: 1138f248f48f.jpg]
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
Here helmets were shot at different angles. .but you should consider the size of the original neck guard and its specific form.
[Image: 136a225f89c4.jpg]
I have a feeling that the the "collar" should be reduced slightly!?
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
In general, things here are well.. Only the wings need to be adjusted!
[Image: 2c5fe9afd4d8.jpg]
..and again I point out that: “..transverse aperture must match the centurion crest , in order to coincide exactly with rings with brackets for the leather straps centurion crestwood”
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tha Sisak Gladius XorX 2 2,408 05-02-2016, 09:33 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Centurion helmet? Graham Sumner 4 1,728 03-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Dean Cunningham metalsmit
  Imperial Gallic \'C\' (Sisak) crest holder dragon25 2 1,565 06-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar